Top 10 Reasons To Get A Sport Master's Degree
If you’re weighing your options about pursuing your master’s degree in sport management studies at California University of Pennsylvania,it helps to review all the benefits that graduate study can provide.
Here are the top 10 reasons to consider why you should choose Cal U to enhance your options for a strong future.
Be ready to compete.The field of sports management equips professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to support sport marketing agencies, intercollegiate athletic departments, professional sports organizations, sports equipment manufacturers and many more operations throughout the vast sports industry. According to Forbes magazine: The sports market in North America was worth $60.5 billion in 2014. It is expected to reach $73.5 billion by 2019.
Learn with a leader. Cal U is recognized as an academic leader in preparing graduate students for coaching, management and other professional positions in the competitive sports industry. Cal U’s M.S. in Sport Management Studies is the nation’s first 100% online program, offering students a sound management foundation in the sports industry, taught by top faculty experts in Pennsylvania and across the country. Cal U also offers well-respected bachelor’s degree programs in sport management studies.
Get a sound foundation. The sports management master’s degree is an interdisciplinary program, which gives students comprehensive and in-depth industry knowledge through a range of courses, including:
- Research Methods in Sport
- Sport Finance
- Sport Ethics
- Sport Marketing
- Legal Aspects in Sport
- Public Relations in Sport
- Leadership and Management in Sport
- Sport Governance
Choose to specialize.Sport management master’s degree students have the opportunity to develop specialized skills and knowledge by choosing one of these concentrations:
- Intercollegiate Athletic Administration:Focus on important business and management issues, including sport governance, sport compliance, legal aspects of equity in intercollegiate athletics, human resource strategies in intercollegiate athletics, sport finance, ethics, marketing and more.
- Sport Management:Develop solid skills that meet the challenges of the dynamic sports world.
- Strategic Sport Analysis:Meet the needs of the sports industry by understanding how to successfully incorporate analytics and economic analyses into the daily management of sports organizations.
Count on a solid career.Cal U sport management master’s degree students are well-prepared for top roles in management and leadership within the sports industry. Cal U graduates are succeeding in a range of key positions: athletic director, head football coach and fitness center director. Cal U students also work in a wide range of sport businesses and organizations, such as:
- Major and minor league baseball.
- NCAA Division I, II and III intercollegiate athletics.
- NHL and NFL.
- NAIA intercollegiate athletics.
- Interscholastic athletics nationwide.
- Public parks and recreation.
Get real experience. Sport management students also benefit from practical experience by applying sport management theory in an actual setting under the direct supervision of a recognized leader in the sports industry. Students can select the site to complete their mentorship, which can, if approved, be their current place of employment. Students complete a minimum of 300 hours in the 12-credit Sport Mentorship course to gain comprehensive on-the-job experience.
Join a growing industry. Employment of sports occupations is projected to grow 10% through 2026, faster than the average for all occupations, says the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The increasing popularity of sports will contribute to job growth for sports occupations. The median annual wage for sports occupations was $42,010 in May 2017, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $37,690.
- Explore career options.According to the BLS, the median national annual salary for a sports agent or a business manager of artists, performers and athletes is $62,080. The top 10% of those who act as agents or business managers for athletes earn more than $194,810. Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors. Employment growth is projected at 7% through 2026. Employment of umpires, referees and other sports officials is projected to grow 8% through 2026, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Job prospects are expected to be good at the youth and high school levels. The median annual wage for umpires, referees and other sports officials was $26,800 in May 2017.
Benefit from online convenience. Cal U was the first university to launch a 100% online sport management master’s degree program to provide premier trainingtoworking professionals. Delivering our nationally ranked graduate program in sport management entirely online means you can study anywhere, any time: You can complete graduate study while working full time and managing the rest of your busy life. Cal U’s online graduate sport management program can be completed in 12 consecutive months attending full-time or 18 consecutive months attending part-time.
Invest in the best. Cal U has built a reputation for strong academics, great value and standout online and on-campus programs. Our undergraduate and graduate degrees are regularly ranked among the best college programs in the nation, including these recognitions:
- #15 Top Master’s in Sport Management Online, 2018, TopManagementDegrees.com
- #20 Best Online Master's in Sport Management, 2018-2019, BestSchools.org
- #21 Most Affordable Online M.S. in Sport Management, 2017, BestMastersDegree.com
- Consistently named one of the best schools in the Northeast by The Princeton Review for 13 years.
- Best Online Programs, Bachelor's Degree Programs, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, S. News & World Report.
You have many reasons to build a strong future. Get the right start with a master’s degree in sport management studies from Cal U. Apply now!
What is Sport Management Studies?
Cal U's bachelor’s degree in sport management studies enables you to blend theoretical knowledge with practical, hands-on experience to build the skills in high demand by top employers in today’s sports industry.
Top 10 Reasons to Get a Sport Management Degree
Your Cal U sport’s management degree can put you on the path to top jobs and salaries, build a strong career trajectory and enable you to study a field you’re truly passionate about.
What Can You Do with a Sport Management Counseling Certificate
Get top preparation to help athletes maximize their mental well-being and physical performance by developing specialized counseling skills.
What Can You Do with a Sport Management Master's Degree?
Cal U is recognized as an academic leader in preparing graduate students for coaching, management and other professional positions in the competitive sports industry.