Master of Science in Exercise Science and Health Promotion: Curriculum
The exercise science and health promotion online program length is 12 consecutive months attending full-time or 17 consecutive months attending part-time. Thirty students per class work, learn, communicate online and function as a group of interactive peers. This virtual community, or cohort, creates a lively, dynamic educational experience that enriches the collaborative skills essential in the contemporary health care and fitness workplace.
The curricular content is well positioned to be presented via the Internet. Performance enhancement and injury prevention, fitness and wellness strategies, sport psychology, wellness coaching, and rehabilitation science methodology are presented with streaming video, narrated PowerPoint presentations and online forums. Threaded discussion groups, chat rooms and e-mail allow the cohorts to communicate and interact, adding unique insight into the discussion. Students use their existing places of employment as their working laboratories, applying concepts and techniques learned online into their daily practice.
Students must choose from one of five concentrations or nine dual concentrations:
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention
- Wellness and Fitness
- Rehabilitation Science
- Sport Psychology
- Wellness Coaching
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Rehabilitation Science
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Sport Psychology
- Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention AND Wellness Coaching
- Rehabilitation Science AND Wellness Coaching
- Rehabilitation Science AND Sport Psychology
- Wellness and Fitness AND Rehabilitation Science
- Wellness and Fitness AND Sport Psychology
- Wellness and Fitness AND Wellness Coaching
- Sport Psychology AND Wellness Coaching
These concentrations are also available as 12 credit Certificates for those who already have a graduate degree in a related field (exercise science, psychology, physical education, nursing, teaching, athletic training, etc.) Each concentration consists of only four courses for the certificate and related NASM certification or Wellcoaches certification. Learn more about the Certificate Curricula.