Bachelor of Social Work
Social work promotes human functioning through the enrichment of the interaction between individuals and their environments. Social workers work with individuals, families, groups, organizations and/or communities to restore and enhance social functioning and to create societal conditions favorable to this goal.
California University of Pennsylvania's social work program, accredited by the Council on Social Work Education since 1976, was one of the earliest undergraduate programs in Pennsylvania. As part of the College of Education and Human Services, we focus on developing generalist knowledge and skills and in responding to the needs of the region for trained social work professionals.
The mission of the Cal U BSW program is to prepare committed, competent beginning social work practitioners to work with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities. Taking an ecological and problem-solving approach, our aim is to develop generalist social work practitioners who will competently:
- engage their environments
- provide adequate opportunities and resources
- develop the profession's knowledge base
- enhance the social functioning of all
This foundation level preparation is integrated with the University's core values, rights and responsibilities and with the core values and ethical standards of the profession, and provides the foundation for graduate education. As a publicly funded university in a rural and small town area, we are specifically committed to improving the quality of life in our surrounding region and in the broader global society through the development of professional leadership, service, research and continuing education.
There are four program goals:
- Goal 1: Provide the student with generalist knowledge, skills and core social work values for entry into beginning social work practice in a variety of agencies and human service settings.
- Goal 2: Provide the student with knowledge and skills to address social welfare needs and issues relevant to complex global societies.
- Goal 3: Develop leaders prepared to enhance the development of social welfare and the delivery of social services.
- Goal 4: Enhance social welfare, the provision of social services and the social work profession through service, research and continuing education, including work on advanced degrees.
College of Education and Human Services
- Social Work: Field Education and Career Opportunities
- Apply today
- Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes
Resources for Students
MSW HELPS COMMUNITY COPE AFTER TRAGEDY
Read how Cal U's social work program is helping Franklin Regional community members cope after the April 9 stabbing incident.
Get Adobe Reader
Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.