Top 10 Reasons To Get A Music Technology Degree
If you have a passion for music, how can you translate that passion into a lifelong career? What is a Commercial Music Technology degree? How can you make your passion your business?
At California University of Pennsylvania, we’re confident that earning a commercial music technology degree can open up many new opportunities to pursue your passion while also giving you the knowledge and portfolio necessary to make that passion a career. Our music production programis a versatile bachelor’s degree that qualifies you for exciting jobs, solid career paths, and personal growth.
Why is a commercial music technology degree from California University in Pennsylvania a smart choice? Here are the top 10 reasons to earn your bachelor’s degree at Cal U:
A close and friendly community:The commercial music technology program at Cal U prides itself on being an inclusive and tight-knit community in which students are nurtured rather than lost in the shuffle. Unlike some larger schools where the teachers have little time to know and invest in their students, we meet with each degree seeker in the music production program on a regular basis to gauge their progress, listen to what excites them and what concerns them, and to help them carve out the educational program that best suits their individual needs. Only 20 students are admitted into the commercial music technology program each fall semester, meaning you will know your teachers as well as your classmates.
Build the career path that's right for you: While united by a common passion, many of our commercial music technology students have varied interests and fields of specialty, ranging from traditional performance to audio/visual technology to music production. California University of Pennsylvania is fortunate to have an eclectic faculty, meaning that students seeking a music production degree will most certainly gain hands-on experience in applied music skills, music technology and music production — but they also may learn about entrepreneurship as well as performance, receiving private vocal or instrumental instruction after the program’s audition process.
- Benefit from state-of-the-art facilities: Former students of Cal U’s music technology program have gone on to great success after learning their craft in the modern facilities at our Pennsylvania campus. All Cal U students seeking a music production degree have access to modern, state-of-the-art facilities where they learn the art of audio engineering and digital music production. We have 20 stations with large-screen iMacs, loaded with Pro Tools, Logic, GarageBand and other industry software bundles. Our program’s commercial music technology lab is constantly updated with the latest recording hardware and software, and our studio-quality microphones and equipment — available for student use — have been used to record many professional-grade EPs. Individual and group practice rooms are also available.
- Invest in an education that will pay you back: California University of Pennsylvania’s strong track record of helping place comercial
music technology degree holders in rewarding positions helps us to feel confident
that our degree is an investment well made. Our most recent survey of the 50 most
recent commercial music technology grads informed us that 48 of the 50 were either
working in the music industry in some capacity or were continuing their musical education
in graduate school.
- Expand your career horizons: Many people have a passion for music, but they look at a college catalog and naturally
ask, “What can you do with a commercial music technology degree?” . Cal U graduates with a commercial music technology degree are successful professionals
working in a wide array of positions throughout Pennsylvania and nationwide. You’ll
find Cal U alumni across the country have used their bachelor’s degree and experience
in the Cal U program to gain employment in a wide range of exciting jobs and influential
- Director of Audio/Visual Events.
- Audio and Lighting Technician.
- Music Center Owner and Entrepreneur.
- Audio Engineer.
- Audio Visual Specialist.
- Music Producer.
- Gain a national certification that will give you an advantage in the job market: Students seeking a commerical music technology degree from Cal U are provided with the opportunity to attain Avid certification, recognized nationally and worldwide as a gold-standard certification in the areas of music technology and music production, as well as in the realms of film, television, broadcasting and mass media. California University of Pennsylvania is the only public university program in the state recognized as an Avid Learning Partner, which has allowed the university to develop meaningful relationships in the music production industry. Along with being prepped for the national certification exams, Cal U students seeking a music tech degree also gain vital hands-on experience with Pro Tools in our state-of-the-art labs.
- Build a professional network: Cal U students seeking a commercial music technology degree study with nationally recognized faculty members who have real-world experience on the stage, behind the curtain and in the studio. Cal U faculty are knowledgeable about music theory, as well as the trends and best practices in the music production and music technology fields. Many California University instructors also have extensive firsthand experience in not only performance and teaching, but also as music producers, sound technicians, and technology specialists. Cal U’s connections in the art world also help to bring in top industry leaders. Recent visitors to the Cal U program include jazz legend Jamey Aebersold, music producer Bobby Owskinki, and country music writer and music producer Joe West.
- Create a solid future: CalAccording to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in both music technology and music production are projected to grow at a modest pace through 2026, due primarily to the historically uncertain nature of arts funding. However, both the BLS and industry leaders are reporting that bachelor’s degree holders coming from music technology programs with a balance of music theory and experience in sound mixing and digital production not only have the greatest chance for success, but often earn above-median pay while working in the field that they love. As more companies move toward creating their own digital content while expanding their social media teams to include content creation and music production, college graduates with technical expertise in music technology and music production are beginning to gain competitive advantages in a much wider array of job titles.
- Gain hands-on skills through competitive internships: California University of Pennsylvania knows that in this competitive employment sector, the students most likely to find the jobs of their dreams need a combination of music theory and real-world, portfolio-building experience in music technology and music production. The Cal U commercial music technology program works with industry leaders to create exciting internship opportunities in studios, theaters, radio stations and on the stage, with many of our music technology students working in industry hotspots such as Nashville, New York City, Atlanta, Austin and Pittsburgh. Cal U ensures that students leaving with a commercial music technology degree have a rich work portfolio and as many industry connections as possible.
- Let your work be play: California University of Pennsylvania is a dynamic university with a proven track record of success placing commercial music technology graduates in a position to make their dreams a reality. Our program puts an emphasis on real-world experience, and our students all receive a minimum of 240 hours of hands-on learning in audio post-production, live sound reinforcement, and digital video production. Many of the assignments are fun. A recent project, done with the Se. John Heinz History Center, had students creating storyboards and working with historians and scriptwriters for a documentary series on jazz legends. A music production degree is only as good as the skills a student takes from it, and our program is designed to ensure that our students aren’t just learners but are also creators, gaining confidence in live performances, internships and our state-of-the art facilities. While your bachelor’s degree in commercial music technology begins on Cal U’s campus in Pennsylvania, we want it to end wherever your heart and skill may take you.
A commercial music technology degree from Cal U opens the door to an exciting, more fulfilling future. Apply now!
What is a Commercial Music Technology Degree
Bachelor's Degree Programs
Learn about Cal U’s commercial music technology program and discover what classroom learning, national certifications, and real-world skills are gained while earning a bachelor’s degree from Cal U.
Careers in Music Production
What You Can Do with a Music Technology Bachelor's Degree
See how a commercial music technology degree from Cal U can open the door to exciting jobs, solid career paths, and your own personal growth.
Get Avid Certified
Earn an Employment Advantage Over the Competition
Gain the gold-standard national certification in the field of music technology and music production while earning a degree at Cal U.