Top 10 Reasons to Get a statistics and data science degree
A bachelor’s degree in Statistics and Data Science, like the one offered at California University of Pennsylvania, can give you a competitive edge in our information-driven world. Big data is everywhere and businesses are in more need than ever for qualified data scientists and data analysts who can leverage data and statistics into smart business decisions and insights.
Cal U’s data science degree program focuses on the real world software skills and data analysis techniques that are being used by top companies around the globe. But that’s just one of many reasons why a being a data and statistics major is an intelligent move.
Here are the top 10 reasons a data science degree can position you for success.
- High Demand: In the United States there are more open positions for skilled data scientists than there are candidates to fill them. According to a 2017 report by the McKinsey Global Institute, in 2018 there will be a shortage of 190,000 data scientists, as well as job vacancies for 1.5 million managers who are skilled in gathering insights from big data. With a statistics and data science degree from Cal U, you’ll be in a prime position to take advantage of these ample opportunities. In fact, you may not even have to hunt for a job—recruiters will likely come to you.
- Strong Growth: In addition to high-demand for data scientists and data analysts, there is expected be large growth in data and statics jobs. The Business-Higher Education Forum and PricewaterhouseCoopers predict that there will be almost 3 million new job postings for data science and data analytics positions in the coming years. The field of informatics—which requires the data analysis and information processing skills learned in programs like Cal U’s statistics and data science degree—is expected to grow by an impressive 14% between 2014 and 2024.
- Applicable Skills: What sets Cal U’s data science and statics majors apart is their real-world knowledge and immediately applicable skills. At Cal U, you’ll work with the same SAS software that is used in 80,000 sites around the world, and you’ll master the programing and data visualization skills that are needed on the job.
- Certification Preparation: One of the biggest advantages of a comprehensive statistics and data science degree program—like the one offered at California University of Pennsylvania—is that it will prepare you to become anSAS Certified Big Data Professional. This industry recognized credential opens doors to top jobs in data science and data analysis.
Read on to discover more of the top 10 reasons to become a data science and statistics major.
- Versatility:The career opportunities for professionals with a data science and statics degree span industries. The data analysis and statistics skills you’ll learn are applicable and in-demand in the fields of business, healthcare,intelligence, logistics, energy and more.
- Job Security:The growth of big data is changing the way companies do business, and in turn, it’s changing job requirements around the world. Many careers—from management to medicine to marketing and beyond—are starting to require data analysis skills. A degree in statistics and data science from Cal U can give you job security, as you’ll be well-versed in thedata analysis skills companies need, no matter which career path you choose. You’ll also have the comprehensive statistics, mathematics, computer science, and software skills that will enable you to adapt to ever changing needs and roles.
- High Salary Potential:Graduates from Cal U’s data science and statistics degree program have the potential to earn high salaries. In Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, Glassdoor reports the average salary for data analysts as $60,843per years. This number increases significantly on the national level, with Glassdoor reporting the average salary for data scientists in the United States as $118,709 per year.
- Online options: Many students choose Cal U because of our flexible online degree course options. Our bachelor’s degree program in statistics and data science has a unique hybrid format that mixes classroom classes with online courses. About 60% of program coursework is delivered online, which means you can complete many of the degree requirements at the times and locations that are most convenient for you. Cal U also offers an undergraduate certificate in statistics and data science that is 100% online.
- Career Support:Cal U data science and statistics majors will benefit from faculty advisors who help you set realistic goals as well as the Career and Professional Development Center, which will help you find internship and career opportunities through personal counseling, networking events, on-campus recruiting, and job and internship fairs.
- Graduate Opportunities:Earning a data science and statistics degree from Cal U can be a stepping stone to
a masters degree or Ph.D. program that will increase your expertise and expand your
career opportunities. For example, Cal U offers a master’s degree in applied mathematics that focuses on data analysis and mathematics for a variety of STEM-related occupations
throughout business, government and commercial sectors.
Are you ready to reap the benefits of a statistics and data science degree? Apply to Cal U today.
The Cal U Advantage
Data science program benefits
Discover why studying data science at Cal U is a smart investment in your future.
Data Science Job Growth
Cal U Data science degree opportunities
The field of data science is booming, and so are job opportunities. Learn how Cal U can help you enter this dynamic job market.
Undergraduate SAS Certificate
100% online program
If you want a to bolster your bachelor’s degree in any field, Cal U’s online SAS certificate could be a great fit for you.
SAS Graduate Certificate
Discover the top reasons to choose Cal U for an online SAS graduate certificate.