Accredited RN to BSN Online Program
Accredited RN to BSN Online Program
As a registered nurse (RN), you have an important career credential that assures patients they will receive quality healthcare.
You’re also in an excellent position to build on your RN and earn your Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) in a premier program offered by PennWest California. PennWest California’s online RN to BSN degree program is designed for registered nurses who already have completed a diploma or associate degree in nursing.
The RN to BSN is a 100% online, accredited degree program that can be completed full time in three terms and part time in four terms. PennWest California’s accredited RN to BSN online program is available in an accelerated format: Students take one 16-week course and two 8-week courses each term. New nursing student cohorts begin each fall and spring; as part of a cohort, you’ll have the opportunity to learn with students who will become your lifelong resources, contacts and friends.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at PennWest California is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education . Officially recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accreditation agency, CCNE isan autonomous accrediting agency, contributing to the improvement of the public's health. CCNE ensures the quality and integrity of baccalaureate, graduate and residency programs in nursing.
Graduates from accredited nursing school programs, such as PennWest California's RN to BSN program, also qualify to attend other accredited schools to pursue advanced studies, including master’s degree programs, which are also available at PennWest California. A degree from an accredited program can make you more competitive in the job market; employers often prefer to hire accredited practitioners because they are trained under nationally established standards for nursing education.
Earning a BSN means you’ll be poised to gain many advantages to boost your career – better earnings, new job opportunities, promotions, preparation for graduate school and more. With the national nursing shortage, the healthcare sector is eager to find qualified, trained nurses to assume important roles in medical facilities and other settings. A BSN will give you the advantage for challenging, well-paying job opportunities.
Build Your Competencies
The RN to BSN program enables experienced registered nurses to:
- Build upon professional strengths to become outstanding nurse leaders.
- Develop a foundation for advanced nursing education and your future career.
The online RN to BSN curriculum prepares PennWest California nursing students for today's increasingly complex healthcare experiences and settings. You’ll take courses that deepen your professional knowledge, including Philosophy of Professional Nursing; Family Health Nursing; Health Assessment; Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice; Intro to Nursing Informatics; Leadership and Change in Nursing; Trends and Issues in Nursing; and Community Health Nursing.
As part of PennWest California Global Online, the 100% online RN to BSN program is especially designed to meet your unique needs:
- The opportunity to study for a top-quality degree any time, anywhere.
- Flexibility to fit in classes around your professional and personal commitments.
- An affordable and accessible education. Global Online students do not pay fees for on-campus services and, in many cases, are eligible for a reduced, competitive, non-resident tuition rate.
- Access to course content in easy-to-use ways that let you interact fully with professors and classmates, and form a network of professional peers.
With an online degree program you can attend PennWest California anywhere, any time, as long as you have a high-speed Internet connection and a modern computer.
The RN to BSN program also provides you with a sound foundation in the arts and sciences that prepares you for graduate studies, if you choose, and for career advancement. Going on to graduate school gets you ready to move into leadership with an MSN degree, or pursue further study to go into research, consulting, teaching, advanced practice or clinical specialization.
More Career Options
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that generally, registered nurses with a BSN degree will have better job prospects than those without one. Employers also may prefer candidates who have some related work experience or certification in a specialty area, such as gerontology.
The median annual wage for registered nurses with a BSN was $68,450 as of May 2016, according to the BLS.
PennWest California's RN to BSN degree program enables graduates to advance with their current employers or move on to a wide range of professional nursing roles in diverse healthcare environments. Here is a sampling of area employers who hire PennWest California BSN graduates:
- Allegheny Health Network.
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh.
- Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.
- Pennsylvania Department of Health.
- Pennsylvania school districts.
Pennsylvania is among the top five states in the nation with the highest employment of nurses. Other top states include California, Texas, New York and Florida.
You can start on your career path to become a registered nurse by studying at one of PennWest California’s educational partnership programs– and know that your credits will transfer easily to PennWest California's RN to BSN program. Study to become an RN at these institutions:
- Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC).
- CCAC's Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program at PennWest California.
- Washington Health System School of Nursing.
- Ohio Valley Hospital School of Nursing (beginning in fall 2018).
PennWest California also has articulation (credit transfer) agreements with the following schools, ensuring a smooth transition of your college credits to our RN to BSN program:
- Jamestown Community College, New York.
- Pittsburgh Technical College.
- UPMS Schools of Nursing:
- Mercy Hospital School of Nursing - UPMC.com.
- UPMC Shadyside Hospital School of Nursing.
- Margaret's Hospital School of Nursing - UPMC.com.
- Jameson Hospital School of Nursing – UPMC.com.
- West Penn Hospital School of Nursing – Allegheny Health Network (AHN).
- Westmoreland County Community College.
Take your nursing career to the next level with PennWest California’s RN to BSN program. Get started on your new path today. Apply now!
National Nursing Shortage
Opportunities for BSN and MSN grads
Nurses are needed now more than ever. Earning your PennWest California nursing degree online will open doors to a satisfying career and many job opportunities.
Top 10 Reasons to Get a BSN Degree
Build on your RN credential
Take your nursing knowledge and skills to the next level by completing the 100% online RN to BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing)degree program at PennWest California: Be ready for career advancement.