GOLF Management jobs
What can you do with an golf management degree?
According to the World Golf Foundation, the golf industry is a $84 billion industry supported by more than 15,000 golf-related facilities that employ nearly 2 million people annually. In addition to golf courses and facilities, the industry includes property management companies, equipment manufacturers, tournament management companies, travel businesses and various golf-focused media properties.
The PGA Compensation Survey Report identified the following golf jobs along with salary data that PennWest California PGM students can explore as they plan future golf careers.
Head Golf Professional
Pro golfers compete against other each other in various tournaments, but they might also work at courses and country clubs as coaches, managers or purchasers of merchandise, among other duties.
Average Salary: $101,596.99
Head Golf Professional – PGA Compensation Survey
Assistant Golf Professional
An assistant golf professional typically assists the Head Golf Professional in the day-to-day operations of a facility. This can include coaching, supervising golf operations, assisting with tournaments, club repairs and fittings and overall customer satisfaction with members.
Average Salary: $46,041.53
Assistant Golf Professional – PGA Compensation Survey
Director of Instruction
The Director of Instruction at a golf facility is responsible for organizing, budgeting, scheduling and promoting golf instruction programs. They oversee the golf range and teaching areas and assure high quality service to those seeking golf instruction while using state-of-the-art teaching and learning theories and aids.
Average Salary: $81,640.83
Director of Instruction – PGA Compensation Survey
General Manager of a Country Club or Resort
Managing all aspects of the club or resort, the General Manager cultivates relationships between members, guest, employees and its Board of Directors. They develop operating policies and procedures and also implements budgets while monitoring the products and services at the country club or resort.
Annual salary: $138,043.97
General Manager – PGA Compensation Survey
Golf Coach (University)
Responsible for skills coaching. Golf coaches can also be responsible for recruiting athletes, maintaining a positive and educational team environment, and coordinating team practices and match days.
Annual salary: $58,293.36.
Golf Coach – PGA Compensation Survey
What jobs are there in the golf industry?
Here’s a checklist of potential career pathways in the golf industry:
- Director of Golf
- Club Professional
- Teaching Professional
- College or High School Golf Coach
- Club Fitter
- Golf Retailer
- Golf Writer
- General Manager
- Sales and Marketing for Golf Courses and Clubs
- Golf Agent or Manager
Ready to get started now? Apply Today
Professional Golf Managment at PennWest California
PennWest California, a leader in professional golf management degrees, is known and respected throughout the global golf industry.
Thousands of PennWest California graduates have received premier preparation for exciting and fulfilling careers through our bachelor’s degree program in sport management studies or exercise science with a concentration in professional golf management (PGM).
Through our PGM program, you’ll get an excellent foundation for future golf jobs by:
- Gaining in-depth business knowledge related to various career paths in the golf industry, from business operations and sales to instruction and tournament management.
- Preparing for success while completing golf-focused internships throughout your time at PennWest California. The PGM program is designed to get students into the field and working full time before graduation.
Sports management and exercise science are an interdisciplinary subject, which means that sport management majors with a PGM focus also learn business basics important to professional success while improving individual golf performance. The PGM program integrates courses in business, sport management and golf management, plus internship opportunities throughout the world of golf, including:
- Professional Tournaments: The Masters, Wells Fargo, U.S. Open, Senior Open, Women's Open, World Golf Championships and PGA Tour events.
- Private Clubs: Vineyard Golf Club (Mass.); Oakmont Country Club (Pa.); Oak Hill (N.Y.), Scioto Country Club (Ohio), Valley Club at Montecito (Calif.); Seminole Golf Club (Fla.), Promontory (Utah) and more.
- Resorts: Bandon Dunes (Ore.), The Greenbrier (W.Va.), The Broadmoor (Colo.), Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (Pa.), The Breakers-Palm Beach (Fla.) and Omni Resorts.
- Industry: Titleist, Callaway Golf, Taylor Made, Golf Galaxy, GolfTec, FootJoy, PGA Sections and U.S.G.A.
- International golf courses in Asia, Europe and South America.
Your internship experience, along with training from expert sports management faculty and golf instructors, will put you on a solid career path. You will be able to apply classroom lessons and theory to the practical skills necessary to acquire Class A PGA Membership. PennWest California also helps you get your game ready to pass the Player's Ability test, a milestone required for every aspiring PGA Member.
Every year, 100% of PennWest California's professional golf management graduates go directly into a wide range of professional positions, while alumni advance in their careers in such roles as:
- PGA Golf Professionals at clubs including Burning Tree (D.C.), St. Clair Country Club (Pa.), East Hampton Golf Club (N.Y.), Sea Island (Ga.), Inverness (Ohio), Red Stick (Fla.), Colleton River (S.C.). North Shore (N.Y), and The Club at Nevillewood (Pa.).
- Competitors on the ReMax World Long Drive, many Mini Tour events, and the Malaysian golf team.
- Supervisor posts at Laurel Valley Golf Club, Pittsburgh Field Club, Firestone Country Club and more.
- Head Golf Coaches, Carnegie Mellon University, Byrn Athyn College and Upper St. Clair High School.
Connect with PGM Faculty Directly