What Can you do with a sport management degree?
The field of sports management equips professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to support sport marketing agencies, intercollegiate athletic departments, professional sports organizations, sports equipment manufacturers and many more operations throughout the vast sports industry. According to Forbes magazine:The sports market in North America was worth $60.5 billion in 2014. It is expected to reach $73.5 billion by 2019.
Students get top preparation for a career in the multi-billion-dollar sport industry by earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport Management from PennWest California.
In this four-year, on-campus undergraduate program, PennWest California blends theoretical knowledge of sports management with practical, hands-on experience. You'll acquire skills that are in high demand by employers in today's sports business environment. You also can choose a specialized area of concentration in professional golf management, which provides in-depth business learning about golf course operations.
Graduates of PennWest California's sport management studies program have found employment within all sectors of the sport management profession, including professional sports, minor league sports, amateur sports, community and recreational sports, and for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
The bachelor's degree in sport management from PennWest California prepares students for a wide range of careers, including:
- Interscholastic and intercollegiate athletics.
- Sport marketing.
- Facility and event management.
- Sport sales.
- Professional golf management.
For example, recent graduates have found jobs with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Johnstown Tomahawks and Washington Wild Things; the IceoPlex at Southpointe and Colorado Rapids Soccer Club; Nike and GNC; Pittsburgh Sports League; and the Soccer Shots children's program, British Swim School and St. Albans School.
PennWest California students also can choose graduate-level study to further prepare for coaching, management and other professional positions in the competitive sports industry. To develop specialized skills and knowledge, students go on to PennWest California’s Master of Science in Sport Management Studies and select from three concentration options:
Your Academic Pathway
Undergraduate sport management studies majors at PennWest California are required to complete a 70-hour practicum class of observation/work in an approved sports management environment. The practicum class involves working in a major sports management setting (e.g., Heinz Field, PNC Park, community clubs or game day activities) to experience behind-the-scenes operations of major sporting events.
Students also are required to complete a supervised 400-hour internship. The internship is the student's capstone experience.
Sport management students get in-depth industry knowledge by completing comprehensive courses. Here’s a sampling:
- Introduction to Sport Management: An introduction to basic skills and competencies required to manage successfully in the sports industry. The course focuses on general management theory and principles that make direct application to the sport management field.
- Psychology of Sport: This course is designed to cover diverse concepts associated with formal recreational or sport activity, including motor skill learning; coaching characteristics and techniques; nervous system correlates of athletic activity; research on relaxation, imagery and cognitive techniques; and peak athletic performance.
- Ethics in Sport Management: Ethical problems, dilemmas and conflicts in sports will be discussed, as well as coaching practices, funding practices, management problems and social (cultural) roles.
- Sport Marketing: A study of basic marketing science as it applies to all realms of the sport industry, this fundamental course introduces students to the depth and breadth of marketing principles and practices as they apply to the sport industry.
- Sales Techniques in the Sport Industry: The sports industry requires students who are trained in all aspects of sport business, including the critical area of sport sales. This course provides practical professional sales techniques and philosophies used in several areas of sports, including personal selling, ticket sales and sponsorships. The dynamics associated with building and fostering relationships necessary for consumer loyalty and a vibrant sport organization also are examined.
- Facility and Event Management: Students gain basic knowledge of the facility planning process, as well as how to manage specific sport facilities and the events staged in these facilities.
- Sport and Society: This course examines sports as a social institution in America. Students address controversies and issues regarding the development of sport at all levels of formality and organization.
- Sports Communication: An examination of the interrelationship between sports and media in today's society. This course draws on theories of rhetoric and social criticism by examining the media's role in telling the story of sports and in shaping and reinforcing cultural values. The course uses various broadcast, print and electronic media to examine how they are vital to the success of the sports organization.
- Legal Aspects of Sport: To enhance the student's knowledge about the legal system as it pertains to sport law, this course covers basic legal concepts concerning both contract law and tort law in sport. Students get a sound foundation so they are better able to recognize legal liability exposure in the sport workplace.
- Finance and Economics of Sport: Designed to provide a detailed examination of the relationship between sport finance, economic and corporate sponsorship in sport. Topics covered include the theoretical premise of sponsorship, alignment marketing, strategic communication through sponsorship and fundraising, and determining the value of an organization and its activities, as well as the evaluation of sponsorship activities.
Students in PennWest California's sport management program apply their classroom learning to multiple real-life experiences in the business of sport. Volunteer opportunities and a full-time capstone internship give students practical experience and opportunities to network with sport industry professionals.
Throughout the program, students begin building a resume while learning the importance of effective communication, professional development, networking and leadership – precisely the skills that future sport business professionals need.
Graduates of PennWest California's sport management studies program have found employment within all sectors of the sport management profession, including professional sports, minor league sports, amateur sports, community and recreational sports, and for-profit and nonprofit organizations. For example, recent graduates have been employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Johnstown Tomahawks and Washington Wild Things; the IceoPlex at Southpointe and Colorado Rapids Soccer Club; Nike and GNC; Pittsburgh Sports League; and the Soccer Shots children's program, British Swim School and St. Albans School.
Get Ready for Golf Careers
Thousands of PennWest California graduates are able to turn their love of golf into exciting and fulfilling careers by completing our bachelor’s degree program in sport management studies with a concentration in professional golf management (PGM).
Through our PGM program, you’ll get an excellent foundation for future golf jobs by:
- Gaining in-depth business knowledge related to various career paths in the golf industry, from business operations and sales to instruction and tournament management.
- Preparing for success while completing golf-focused internships throughout your time at PennWest California. The PGM program is designed to get students into the field and working full time before graduation.
The PGM program integrates courses in business, sport management and golf management, plus internship opportunities throughout the world of golf, including:
- Professional Tournaments: The Masters, Wells Fargo, U.S. Open, Senior Open, Women's Open, World Golf Championships and PGA Tour events.
- Private Clubs: Vineyard Golf Club (Mass.); Oakmont Country Club (Pa.); Oak Hill (N.Y.), Scioto Country Club (Ohio), Valley Club at Montecito (Calif.); Seminole Golf Club (Fla.), Promontory (Utah) and more.
- Resorts: Bandon Dunes (Ore.), The Greenbrier (W.Va.), The Broadmoor (Colo.), Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (Pa.), The Breakers-Palm Beach (Fla.) and Omni Resorts.
- Industry: Titleist, Callaway Golf, Taylor Made, Golf Galaxy, GolfTec, FootJoy, PGA Sections and U.S.G.A.
- International golf courses in Asia, Europe and South America.
Your internship experience, along with training from expert sports management faculty and golf instructors, will put you on a solid career path. You also will be able to apply classroom lessons and theory to the practical skills necessary to acquire Class A PGA Membership. PennWest California also helps you get your game ready to pass the Player's Ability test, a milestone required for every aspiring PGA Member.
Every year, 100% of PennWest California's professional golf management graduates go directly into a wide range of professional positions, while alumni advance in their careers in such roles as:
- PGA Golf Professionals at clubs including Burning Tree (D.C.), St. Clair Country Club (Pa.), East Hampton Golf Club (N.Y.), Sea Island (Ga.), Inverness (Ohio), Red Stick (Fla.), Colleton River (S.C.). North Shore (N.Y), and The Club at Nevillewood (Pa.).
- Competitors on the ReMax World Long Drive, many Mini Tour events, and the Malaysian golf team.
- Supervisor posts at Laurel Valley Golf Club, Pittsburgh Field Club, Firestone Country Club and more.
- Head Golf Coaches, Carnegie Mellon University, Byrn Athyn College and Upper St. Clair High School.
PennWest California opens the way for you to find exciting careers and a solid future in the global sport industry. Apply now!
Solid internship experience, plus training from expert sports management faculty and golf instructors, puts PennWest California students on a solid career path.
Top 10 Reasons to Get a Sport Management Degree
Your PennWest California sport’s management degree can put you on the path to top jobs and salaries, build a strong career trajectory and enable you to study a field you’re truly passionate about.