What Can you do with a sport management degree?
Students get top preparation for a career in the multi-billion-dollar sport industry by earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport Management from California University of Pennsylvania.
In this four-year, on-campus undergraduate program, Cal U blends theoretical knowledge of sports management with practical, hands-on experience. You'll acquire skills that are in high demand by employers in today's sports business environment. You also can choose a specialized area of concentration in professional golf management, which provides in-depth business learning about golf course operations.
Graduates of Cal U's sport management studies program have found employment within all sectors of the sport management profession, including professional sports, minor league sports, amateur sports, community and recreational sports, and for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
The bachelor's degree in sport management from Cal U prepares students for a wide range of careers, including:
- Interscholastic and intercollegiate athletics.
- Sport marketing.
- Facility and event management.
- Sport sales.
- Professional golf management.
For example, recent graduates have found jobs with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Johnstown Tomahawks and Washington Wild Things; the IceoPlex at Southpointe and Colorado Rapids Soccer Club; Nike and GNC; Pittsburgh Sports League; and the Soccer Shots children's program, British Swim School and St. Albans School.
Cal U students also can choose graduate-level study to further prepare for coaching, management and other professional positions in the competitive sports industry. To develop specialized skills and knowledge, students go on to Cal U’s Master of Science in Sport Management Studies and select from three concentration options:
Get Ready for Golf Careers
Thousands of Cal U graduates are able to turn their love of golf into exciting and fulfilling careers by completing our bachelor’s degree program in sport management studies with a concentration in professional golf management (PGM).
Through our PGM program, you’ll get an excellent foundation for future golf jobs by:
- Gaining in-depth business knowledge related to various career paths in the golf industry, from business operations and sales to instruction and tournament management.
- Preparing for success while completing golf-focused internships throughout your time at Cal U. The PGM program is designed to get students into the field and working full time before graduation.
The PGM program integrates courses in business, sport management and golf management, plus internship opportunities throughout the world of golf, including:
- Professional Tournaments: The Masters, Wells Fargo, U.S. Open, Senior Open, Women's Open, World Golf Championships and PGA Tour events.
- Private Clubs: Vineyard Golf Club (Mass.); Oakmont Country Club (Pa.); Oak Hill (N.Y.), Scioto Country Club (Ohio), Valley Club at Montecito (Calif.); Seminole Golf Club (Fla.), Promontory (Utah) and more.
- Resorts: Bandon Dunes (Ore.), The Greenbrier (W.Va.), The Broadmoor (Colo.), Nemacolin Woodlands Resort (Pa.), The Breakers-Palm Beach (Fla.) and Omni Resorts.
- Industry: Titleist, Callaway Golf, Taylor Made, Golf Galaxy, GolfTec, FootJoy, PGA Sections and U.S.G.A.
- International golf courses in Asia, Europe and South America.
Your internship experience, along with training from expert sports management faculty and golf instructors, will put you on a solid career path. You also will be able to apply classroom lessons and theory to the practical skills necessary to acquire Class A PGA Membership. Cal U also helps you get your game ready to pass the Player's Ability test, a milestone required for every aspiring PGA Member.
Every year, 100% of Cal U's professional golf management graduates go directly into a wide range of professional positions, while alumni advance in their careers in such roles as:
- PGA Golf Professionals at clubs including Burning Tree (D.C.), St. Clair Country Club (Pa.), East Hampton Golf Club (N.Y.), Sea Island (Ga.), Inverness (Ohio), Red Stick (Fla.), Colleton River (S.C.). North Shore (N.Y), and The Club at Nevillewood (Pa.).
- Competitors on the ReMax World Long Drive, many Mini Tour events, and the Malaysian golf team.
- Supervisor posts at Laurel Valley Golf Club, Pittsburgh Field Club, Firestone Country Club and more.
- Head Golf Coaches, Carnegie Mellon University, Byrn Athyn College and Upper St. Clair High School.
Cal U opens the way for you to find exciting careers and a solid future in the global sport industry. Apply now!
What is Sport Management Studies
Cal U's bachelor’s degree in sport management studies enables you to blend theoretical knowledge with practical, hands-on experience to build the skills in high demand by top employers in today’s sports industry.
Top 10 Reasons to Get a Sport Management Degree
Your Cal U sport’s management degree can put you on the path to top jobs and salaries, build a strong career trajectory and enable you to study a field you’re truly passionate about.
Solid internship experience, plus training from expert sports management faculty and golf instructors, puts Cal U students on a solid career path.