Frequently Asked Questions

Site Search

A photo of a Cal U student walking down a campus path in the winter snowA photo of a Cal U student walking down a campus path in the winter snow

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I cancel my registration?

To cancel a course registration you must notify the Office of Academic Records (724-938-4434) in person, in writing by mail, or by sending an e-mail to from your Cal U e-mail account.  The amount of your refund will be determined by the date that the notice is received.  Leaving a course, or not attending, without written notification does not constitute an official cancellation/withdrawal and will result in the assignment of an F grade and financial liability for tuition and fees.

How do I drop a class?

Students wishing to drop a course may do so online through the VIP Portal until the first day of class begins by following the steps listed below. This process can also be done by completing a schedule adjustment form and returning it the Office of Academic Records, (by mail, email form Cal U email account to, or in person). You may drop a class online up to the first day of class without financial or academic penalty. After class starts you must drop the class at the Office of Academic Records, 112 Dixon Hall. The official drop date, for refund purposes, is determined by the date the schedule adjustment form is received. If you decide you don’t want to remain registered for a class after the first day of the class you must follow the procedure for withdrawal from a course - see our withdrawals policy.  There is a financial, and possibly an academic penalty, for withdrawals. The official Drop/Add Period is the first day of the session.

To drop a course online at follow the steps listed below:

  • Log in the VIP Portal -
  • Enter your Cal U Student ID Number and your password
  • Click the “Academic Info Tab”
  • Choose “Drop/Add Classes"
  • Choose the Winter 2013 term from the drop down menu
  • Select the drop down box for course you would like to drop/submit

You cannot drop your entire schedule online.  That must be done in the office of Academic Records.

If I do not pay my bill by the due date, will I be dropped from my class?

Do not assume you have been dropped from your classes for nonpayment!  Once you are registered for a class, you have incurred a financial obligation.  If you choose not to attend, you must officially withdraw in writing (see refund policy).  You will be responsible for the bill if you do not officially cancel your registration.

Am I eligible for a refund if I withdraw from a class?

Depending on the date of the withdrawal, you may or may not be eligible for a partial refund. For more specific information, contact the Office of the Bursar, 118 Dixon Hall, at 724-938-4431.  See our refund policy.

How do I add a class?

To add a class you must complete an Add Form at the Office of Records, 112 Dixon Hall, e-mail from your Cal U email account to or go online at through the VIP Portal to add the course.  Online registration will be daily 7:00 AM to 11:30 PM (note: times may vary due to occasional system upgrades).

  • Log into the VIP portal
  • Enter your Cal U Student ID Number and your password
  • Click the "Academic Info Tab"
  • Choose "Drop/Add Classes"
  • Choose the Winter 2013 term from the drop down menu
  • Enter the CRN numbers of the sections you have selected/submit

How do I get into a closed section?

If the course you wish to add is closed, contact the Office of Academic Affairs at 724-938-4407 or email, with the information on the course and request permission to register.

How long do I have to withdraw from class?

Once 67% of class time has elapsed, you may no longer withdraw.

Are there any restrictions on courses I may take during Winter College?

Some courses have prerequisites.

How do I challenge a course for credit?

  • Obtain a Course Challenge Form from the Academic Records Office, Room 122 Dixon Hall
  • Obtain written permission from the chairperson of the department that offers the course
  • Register for the course and pay tuition and fees for the course
  • Only grades of P (Pass) or F (Fail) will be recorded
  • For more information, contact the Academic Records Office at 724-938-4434

How do I audit a class?

Auditing a class means that you will receive no grade or credit for the course being audited.  To audit a course you need to complete the Authorization to Audit Form which can be obtained from the Office of Academic Records by calling 724-938-4434.  This must be done prior to the start of the class.

Can I repeat a course?

Yes, any course taken at California University may be repeated.  Only the later grade will be counted in the student's quality-point average (QPA).  The original grade will remain on the transcript.

How do I register or apply for admission?

See specific information on registration and admission procedures.

I am a student at another university.  Are there special arrangements I need to make to take a class at California University of Pennsylvania?

Yes, in order to take classes at Cal U you must apply through the Office of Admissions as visiting student.  A completed application and $25 nonrefundable fee are required before a course registration can be processed.  This fee is waived if you have taken classes at Cal U or have paid the fee within the past three years.  An application from undergraduate admission can be found online at An application for graduate school admission can be found on our website at  You may also apply online at

May I attend Winter College if I am a high school student?

If you have completed the sophomore year of high school and are enrolled in a college preparatory curriculum you may be eligible for admission to Cal U through our High School Early Admit Program. You must have cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 for the past two years and have taken one of the three standardized tests: PSAT, SAT, or ACT.  Contact the Office of Continuing Education for current test score requirements.  If you meet the qualifications listed, you need to complete the admission application form, pay the $25 nonrefundable fee and submit your official high school transcript and the completed Authorization for High School Student form.  Visit for more details.

Where do I purchase my textbook for classes?

The Cal U Student Bookstore, located on the second level of the Natali Student Center, offers a variety of services.  You can purchase new or used text books, rent books and you may even pre-order books before the first week of class.  The Cal U Student Bookstore also offers a variety of other items for purchase.  For more information, please call 724-938-4324, or access the Student Bookstore online through the Cal U home page at

What is the grade appeal process?

The grade appeal process can be found in the University catalog.

Can I register for winter classes if I have been academically dismissed from Cal U?

Any student who has been academically dismissed and wishes to attend Winter College at California University of Pennsylvania must be re-admitted by the Office of Academic Success, 103 Noss Hall, 724-938-1523.  Attach a copy of your re-admission letter to your registration card and bring or mail it to the Office of Academic Affairs, 301 Dixon Hall.

How do I get a transcript?

To obtain a transcript of academic activity at California University of PA, contact the Office of Academic Records, Room 122, Dixon Hall, 724-938-4434, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday-Friday.  The fee for a transcript is $3.00.

What happens when a course I registered for is canceled?

Winter College classes are not guaranteed to run.  If a course does not have sufficient enrollment, it is canceled during the week prior to the first class meeting.  Registered students will be contacted by phone between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM and given the option of choosing another class or receiving a refund.  Phone numbers in the student information system will be used to make cancellation calls.  Please make sure that your phone number in the system is correct.  You can check your information on the web at

  • Enter the VIP Portal with your Cal U Student ID Number and password -
  • Click Registration Status
  • Choose "View Addresses and Phones"
  • Update address and phone (at bottom of form)
  • Make changes
  • Click the "Submit" button

Where can I obtain information about disability accommodations?

California University of PA welcomes otherwise qualified students with disabilities. The University recognizes its responsibility to these students and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure access and participation as guided by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Requests for accommodation should be submitted directly to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD). Students requesting accommodations must provide OSD with documentation to substantiate the request. Students with disabilities follow the same admission procedures and standards as required by the California University of PA Admissions Office for all students. Questions regarding admission procedures and acceptance status should be directed to the Admissions Office at 724-938-4404. For information regarding OSD and reasonable accommodations, visit the OSD website,, or contact OSD at 724-938-5781 or e-mail