The Associate of Science in Early Childhood Education degree program is a hands-on program that builds students' understanding of early childhood learning and pedagogy.
Traditional (on campus)
This undergraduate degree program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Cal U's education programs have also been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1954, and we are continuing with the successor organization, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The following four-semester schedule of courses provides a recommended framework for completing this program of study in two years.
|ENG 101 English Composition I||3|
|HIS 101 OR 102 U.S. History||3|
|MAT 120 Elementary Topics in Math I||3|
|PSY 216 Child Psychology Birth-Age 4||3|
|UNI 100 First-Year Seminar||1|
|Any Natural Science Course with Lab||3|
|CHD 200 Intro to PreK-Grade 8 Education||3|
|ELE 220 Instruction and Assessment in PreK||3|
|ELE 221 Instruction and Assessment in K-4||3|
|ESP 210 Special Education Foundation and Collaboration||3|
|MAT 130 Elementary Topics in Math II||3|
|CHD 350 Family and Community Collab. and Partnerships||3|
|ELE 300 Emergent Literacy||3|
|ELE 310 Teaching PreK Math/Science||3|
|ELE 410 PreK-4 Field Experience||3|
|Any Approved American/British Literature Course||3|
|CHD 250 Health and PE for PreK-4||3|
|CHD 312 Instruction: Leadership in Child. Ed.||3|
|EDU 333 Technology for Teach. and Learn.||3|
|ESP 311 Assmt. Positive Behavior Intervention||3|
|PSY 217 Child Psychology Age 5-9||3|
- Course titles in bold are scheduled together and must be taken at the same time.
- CHD 200 and ELE 220 require current clearances and minimum 2.0 GPA to register for courses.
- All other EDU, ELE, ESP and CHD courses require current clearances and minimum 2.5 GPA to register for courses.
- Pre-requisites for all CHD and ELE 300 level courses are ELE 200 and ELE 220.
- Current clearances are required prior to enrolling in program courses.
Approved British or American Literature Courses
- ENG 107 Introduction to Fiction
- ENG 125 The American West
- ENG 127 Woman as Hero
- ENG 148 Horror in Literature
- ENG 150 Baseball in Literature
- ENG 155 Black Literature
- ENG 160 Introduction to British and American Literature
- ENG 203 Great Books
- ENG 301 English Literature I (prerequisites ENG 101, 102)
- ENG 302 English Literature II (prerequisites ENG 101, 102)
- ENG 337 Survey of American Literature I (prerequisites ENG 101, 102)
- ENG 338 Survey of American Literature II (prerequisites ENG 101, 102)
- HON 250 Honors Composition II (prerequisite HON 150)