The Associate of Science in Early Childhood Education degree program is a hands-on program that builds students' understanding of early childhood learning and pedagogy.
Traditional (on campus)
This undergraduate degree program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Cal U's education programs have also been accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) since 1954, and we are continuing with the successor organization, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
|General Education Courses||31|
|Building a Sense of Community
UNI 100 First-Year Seminar
ENG 101 English Composition I
|Mathematics and Quantitative Literacy
MAT 120 Elementary Topics I
|Health and Wellness
CHD 250 Health and Physical Education Methods for PreK-Grade 4
EDU 333 Educational Technology
ESP 210 Special Education Foundations and Collaboration
PHS 120 Basic Physical Science with Lab
|3 or 4|
|Ethics and Multicultural Awareness Emphasis Course
CHD 350 Family and Community Collaboration
|General Education Options
|Required Major Courses||21|
|CHD 200 Introduction to PreK to Grade 8 Education||3|
|ELE 220 Instruction and Assessment in PreK||3|
|ELE 221 Instruction and Assessment in K-4||3|
|CHD 312 Instruction: Leadership in Child. Ed.||3|
|ELE 300 Emerging Literacy||3|
|ELE 310 Teaching Math/Science PreK||3|
|ELE 410 PreK Field Experience||3|
|Required Related Courses||9|
|ESP 311 Assessment Positive Behavior Int.||3|
|PSY 205 Child Psychology||3|
|PSY 208 Educational Psychology||3|
Additional requirements not counted toward the General Education requirements and included in this program are:
- Special Experience Course (1 course required): ELE 410 PreK Field Experience
- Writing-Intensive Component Course (1 course required): ELE 410 PreK Field Experience
- Laboratory Course (1 course required): PHS 120 Basic Physical Science with Lab
- CHE 200 and ELE 220 require current clearances and minimum 2.0 GPA to register for courses.
- All other EDU, ELE, ESP and CHD courses require current clearances and minimum 2.5 GPA to register for courses.
- Pre-requisites for ELE 221 and all 300-level courses are ELE 200 and ELE 220.
- Current clearances are required prior to enrolling in program courses.
- Approved American/British literature courses: ENG 107, 125, 127, 148, 150, 155, 160, 203, 301, 302, 337, 338 and HON 250. (HON 250 has a pre-requisite of HON 150; the 300-level ENG courses have pre-requisites of ENG 101 and 102.)
General Education Program Notes:
General education courses listed above are required for the associate's degree. However, students may wish to take additional courses, listed below, to apply to a bachelor's degree program in Pre-K-4 education with certification.
- Public Speaking: EDU 350
- Fine Arts: MUS 372, ART 372, THE 372
- Social Sciences: GEO 102, POS 102, ECO 102