Major Code: 1520
The following sections include an eight-semester schedule of courses provided as a recommended framework for completing the certification programs in four years.
Certification that includes Special Education may require an extra semester to complete.
Note: This is a dual certification, not a dual degree.
|ENG 101 English Composition I||3|
|HIS 101 OR 102 US History||3|
|MAT 120 Elementary Topics in Math I||3|
|PSY 205 Childhood Psychology||3|
|UNI 100 First-Year Seminar||1|
|Any Natural Science Course||3|
|CHD 200 Introduction to PreK-Grade 4||3|
|ELE 220 Instruction and Assessment PreK||3|
|ELE 221 Instruction and Assessment in K-4||3|
|ESP 210 Special Education Foundations and Collaboration||3|
|ESP 311 Assessment and Positive Behavior Interventions||3|
|MAT 130 Elementary Topics in Math II||3|
|ELE 300 Emerging Literacy||3|
|ELE 310 Teaching Math/Science PK-4||3|
|GEO/POS/ECO 102 Social Sciences||3|
|MUS/ART/THE 372 Creative Arts PK-4||3|
|Any Approved AM/BRIT Literature||3|
|CHD 250 Health & PE for PK-Grade 4||3|
|CHD 312 Instructional Leadership in Childhood Education||3|
|EDU 333 Educational Technology||3|
|PSY 208 Educational Psychology||3|
|ELE 301 Literacy Foundations I: LA||3|
|ELE 302 Literacy Foundations II: Reading||3|
|ELE 331 Teaching Social Studies K-4||3|
|ESP 312 Applied Behavior Analysis for Special Educators||3|
|ESP 339 Special Education Field Experience I||3|
|ESP 403 Assessment and Prescriptive Teaching||3|
|EDU 350 Supporting ELL||3|
|ELE 311 Teaching Math K-4||3|
|ELE 321 Teaching Science K-4||3|
|ESP 407 Early Intervention Special Education||3|
|ESP 411 History, Theory, and Exceptionality||3|
|ESP 412 Evidence Based Practices||3|
|CHD 350 Family and Community Collaboration Partnerships||3|
|CHD 450 Assessment and Data Literacy||3|
|EDU 375 Introduction to Integrative STEM Education||3|
|ESP 349 Special Education Field Experience II||3|
|ESP 402 Life Skills Planning and Instruction||3|
|ESP 414 Advanced Evidence Based Practices for PK-8 Inclusion||3|
|ELE 461 Student Teaching and School Law||6|
|ESP 461 Student Teaching and School Law||6|
- All ELE/ESP/CHD courses require current clearances and a minimum 2.5 GPA to register.
- All courses required for certification must earn C or better.
- Admission to Teacher Education required for enrollment in ESP 412, CHD 450, ELE 311, ELE 321, ELE 331, ESP 461 and ELE 461.
- Prerequisites for ELE 221 and all 300 level ELE and CHS courses are ELE 200 and ELE 220. ESP 210 and ESP 311 are prerequisites for all ESP courses.
- Bolded courses titles indicate a block of courses that must be taken together.
Approved British or American Literature Courses
- ENG 107 Introduction to Fiction
- ENG 125 The American West
- ENG 127 Woman as Hero
- ENG 148 Horror in Literature
- ENG 150 Baseball in Literature
- ENG 155 Black Literature
- ENG 160 Introduction to British & American Literature
- ENG 203 Great Books
- ENG 301 English Literature I
- ENG 302 English Literature II
- ENG 337 Survey of American Literature I
- ENG 338 Survey of American Literature II