The Counselor Education and Social Work Departments (now in the Health & Human Services Department) were awarded two federal grants focused on expanding the workforce creating the BHWET and OWEP programs at Cal U. These programs provide students with a $10,000 stipend while completing their clinical field experience in the grant’s focus area. This is a wonderful opportunity to expand student learning in high demand areas, while receiving a stipend to assist with expenses. Funding to attend trainings, conferences and associated travel may also be available to HRSA stipend recipients; see below for more detail.
View this video to learn more about Cal U's HRSA programs and student opportunities:
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
Please read each of the following bullets carefully to review your eligibility and program requirements:
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must be a Cal U student in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, and/or Master of Social Work who is about to begin their clinical field experience (SWK 829/830, CED 712).
- Applications should be submitted the semester before the student’s clinical field experience begins.
- Can apply to both programs, but will only be selected for one.
- BHWET specific information:
- Field site MUST be in a rural and/or medically underserved area.
- Fieldwork MUST be split over 2 semesters.
- OWEP specific information:
- Field site MUST addresses opioid use disorder (OUD) and/or substance use disorder (SUD) through prevention, treatment, and/or recovery.
- CED students can complete their fieldwork over 1 or 2 semesters. MSW students must complete across 2 semesters.
- ESSENTIAL that interested students work closely with their program’s field coordinator. If you have questions as to whether a site qualifies for either grant, contact Program Coordinator Molly Jenkins at Jenkins_M@calu.edu.
- Required to participate in meetings, trainings, online modules, presentations, etc. The requirements vary per semester, but typically include monthly meetings, group projects and presentations at Strike a Spark.
- Selected stipend recipients receive a $10,000 stipend while completing their field
work. Failure to complete program requirements will result in stoppage of payments.
Applications are now completed online via Footprints. Do not submit hardcopies. Students should apply for the program(s) the semester before they plan to begin their clinical field experience. See deadlines below.
Step 1: Review program eligibility listed above.
Step 2: Download, review and prepare application checklist items.
Step 3: Provide your recommender(s) with the following link (closed until next open application period) and notify them of the deadline.
The Spring 2022 application period will open in early October 2021. Check back for updates. Information in the checklist can still be prepared in advance.
- To begin Spring 2022, program applications are due by October 31, 2021 for consideration. Application period will open in early October.
Student Training/Travel Application
HRSA stipend recipients are eligible to apply for training/conference and travel related fees.
To Apply: Application and instructions are available here.
Contact Jenkins_M@calu.edu with any questions.