Student Opportunities

The Counselor Education and Social Work Departments (now in the Health & Human Service Professions Department) were awarded two federal grants focused on expanding the workforce creating the BHWET and OWEP programs at Cal U. These programs provide students with a $10,000 stipend while completing their clinical field experience in the grant’s focus area. This is a wonderful opportunity to expand student learning in high demand areas, while receiving a stipend to assist with expenses. Funding to attend trainings, conferences and associated travel may also be available to HRSA stipend recipients; see below for more detail.

View this video to learn more about Cal U's HRSA programs and student opportunities:


Please read each of the following bullets carefully to review your eligibility and program requirements:

  • Must be a US citizen.
  • Must be a Cal U student in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, and/or Master of Social Work who is about to begin their clinical field experience (SWK 829/830, CED 712).
  • Applications should be submitted the semester before the student’s clinical field experience begins.
  • OWEP specific information:
    • Field site MUST addresses opioid use disorder (OUD) and/or substance use disorder (SUD) through prevention, treatment, and/or recovery. Sites are not limited to treatment or recovery facilities. Prevention can be worked into most settings.  
    • CED students can complete their fieldwork over 1 or 2 semesters. MSW students must complete across 2 semesters.
  • The BHWET program is no longer accepting applications. The last round of recipients were accepted in Fall 2021. 
  • ESSENTIAL that interested students work closely with their program’s field coordinator. If you have questions as to whether a site qualifies, email
  • Required to participate in meetings, trainings, online modules, presentations, etc. The requirements very per semester, but typically involve on hour monthly meetings, and an individual project.
  • Selected stipend recipients receive a $10,000 stipend while completing their field work. Failure to complete program requirements will result in stoppage of payments.

Student Stipend Applications

Applications are now completed online via Footprints. Do not submit hardcopies. Students should apply for the program(s) the semester before they plan to begin their clinical field experience. See deadlines below.

To Apply

Step 1: Review program eligibility listed above.

Step 2: Download, review and prepare application checklist items.

Step 3: Provide your recommender(s) with the following link and notify them of the deadline.

Step 4: Review this video so you understand how to navigate the application software. Complete your application for a Spring 2022 start here. (If prompted to enter a login and password, use the information you would use to login to VIP.)


  • To begin Spring 2022, program applications are due by October 31, 2021 for consideration. Application period will open in early October. School students will need to complete their fieldwork in one semester, Spring 2022. CMHC students can complete their fieldwork Spring 2022 or Spring/Summer 2022. Due to grant timing, Fall 2022 fieldwork cannot be supported.

Student Training/Travel Application

HRSA stipend recipients are eligible to apply for training/conference and travel related fees.

To Apply: Application and instructions are available here.

Contact hrsaprograms@calu.eduwith any questions.