Commuter & Non-Traditional Student Services
Commuters and non-traditional students find a warm welcome at Cal U at the Commuter Center. Located on the first level of the Natali Student Center (directly off Third Street), the center offers a host of services in addition to providing a comfortable place away from classes. It is a place for students to involve themselves in University life by socializing with peers, taking advantage of activities for students and families, and becoming involved in campus life.
The Commuter Center provides a number of services at no additional cost to students:
- University network linked personal computers and laser printers
- Refrigerator, microwave, plastic and paper place settings
- Spring water
- Locker storage (Available on first-come basis. No deposit required. Bring your lock.)
- Information and referral bulletin boards
- Large screen television
- Commuter Council
- Student activity and event programming (theme events, holiday celebrations, sponsored events, board games)
- Administrator available to assist commuter and non-traditional students.
The Commuter Center is located in the Natali Student Center adjacent to Vulcan Theatre, The Corner Pocket, Food Service Operations (Prime House, Modeco, Flatz), Multimedia Access Center, Cal U Bookstore, PSECU credit union, ATM machine and the Information Center.
Parking and Shuttle Service
Commuters who wish to avoid parking on the lower campus are urged to use the Park-and-Ride across from Vulcan Village. Regular shuttle service is available to the lower campus through the Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority (MMVTA). The shuttle service is free of charge for California University of Pennsylvania students with a valid CalCard. There is a nominal fee for nonstudents to ride the shuttle. For more information on the shuttle service, call MMVTA at 724-489-0880.
Commuter Update: University Avenue Now One-Way Street
University Avenue has been permanently restricted to one-way traffic between Third Street and Second Street, in front of Old Main. A portion of Second Street, in front of Eberly Science and Technology Center, now is a one-way street, as well. View more details and a route map.
MMVTA has Announced New Bus Routes for Commuters
The Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority has announced several new or updated routes:
- The Cal U Commuter service will provide transportation to the Cal U campus from the park-and-ride lot in Large, Pa. (near Route 51 and Toll Route 43). This service is free for Cal U students with a valid CalCard.
- The Valley 2 service will provide service to shopping options in the area.
- The Valley 3 "loop" will serve Vulcan Village, Roadman Park, Center in the Woods, MMVTA/Cal U Park-and-Ride, Liberty Tower, Cal U main campus, downtown California and Rotary Park.
We Are Here for You
Commuters and non-traditional students together represent approximately two-thirds of Cal U's student population. All find a home at Cal U's Commuter Center. For more information on services and activities, visit the Commuter Center, call or e-mail.
Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services
Winter Battery Check
Get Involved in Cal U's Commuter Council which provides leadership development, representation and social opportunities for commuters and non-traditional students.
Attend Commuter Meetings
- The Commuter Council meets the first Tuesday of the month at 11:15 a.m. in the Commuter Center. The Commuter Council helps students to become familiar with services for commuter and non-traditional students. Refreshments and snacks are provided.
Find Events and Activities across Campus.
Rent a Locker in the Commuter Center.
- Stop by the Commuter Center for more information.
Looking for Info on Student Parking? Find Everything you Need to Know through the Office of Parking and Transportation.
Inclement Weather Cancellations
- University-wide class cancellations are announced through local media, including KDKA-TV and Froggy radio (94.9 and 98.3 FM). An instructor may cancel a class although there is not a University-wide class cancellation. Know beforehand how to obtain cancellation information from each of your instructors. Also remember to notify your instructor if inclement weather keeps you from getting to campus. Get the Cal U Weather Center Local Forecast.
Have a Suggestion?
- We'd Love to Hear It. Drop Us an E-Mail.