UTech Services - Frequently Asked Questions

Site Search


Frequently Asked Questions

Please check back regularly as we will be adding more questions and content.



How can I access email when I am not on campus?

Go to https://outlook.com/owa/calu.edu and enter your username (for example STU7654 without @calu.edu) and your password.  Click OK and you will be sent to your e-mail.

Students also can access their email through VIP.

Guides for configuring mobile devices are available under the Tutorials section.

If you are having trouble accessing OWA please contact the Help Desk at x5911 or 724-938-5911.

Can I set up my email at home using an email client such as Apple Entourage or Outlook Express?

The University recommends and supports the use of Outlook Web Access (OWA) to view your email account when not on campus by going to  https://outlook.com/owa/calu.edu.

You can set up another email client that supports IMAP with the following server information; however the university does not support this configuration on non-University machines.

  • Mail Server or Server is owamail.calu.edu

  • SMTP server is on Port 587 over SSL

  • IMAP server is on Port 993 over SSL

Can I turn off the focused mailbox in the Outlook Web App (OWA)?

Microsoft implemented a new feature call Focused Inbox.  If this feature is showing as the default view for you within the Outlook Web App (OWA), there are 2 separate selections to view your email, Focused and Other. 

Outlook screenshot.

If you do not like this view and would like to turn it off so that all email is together, click the down arrow next to Filter, then uncheck Show Focused Inbox.

Outlook screenshot.

All email will now be under Inbox.

Outlook screenshot


How can I change my password if I only use OWA?

Please go to: https://sts.calu.edu/adfs/portal/updatepassword and enter your email address, old password, and new password twice.

Your new password must:

• Be at least 8 characters in length.

• Be different than the previous 4 passwords.

• Consist of 3 out of 4 of the following:

o Uppercase character.

o Lowercase character.

o Numeric characters.

o Symbol characters.

How can I change my password when I am using a campus owned Windows computer?

While logged onto a campus PC (not a Mac), press CTRL+ALT+DELETE on your keyboard.  Click the Change Password button.  Your username should be in the username field, and the Log On To field should say CALUPA.  Enter your existing password, type a new password, and then type it again to confirm it and click Ok.  If you are using a MAC you will need to log onto a Windows PC in order to change your password.

Your new password must:

• Be at least 8 characters in length.

• Be different than the previous 4 passwords.

• Consist of 3 out of 4 of the following:

o Uppercase character.

o Lowercase character.

o Numeric characters.

o Symbol characters.

Students windows/email/VIP/D2L password expires every 180 days.

Faculty and Staff windows/email/VIP/D2L password expired every 90 days.

Student Workers

Should my student workers log in using their own student account when working for me?

No, their supervisor should request that a special account be created for their use by filling out the appropriate form.  The Special Computer Account can be found in Public Folders under Faculty and Staff Forms.


How much space do I have on my N drive?

Faculty and Staff have 1 GB  of space and students have unlimited.

Microsoft Office

Will Microsoft Office 2010 open a file created in an earlier version of office?

Yes, opening the file will not be a problem.

Bradford Device Registration

How do I register my Gaming Console on the network?

With the installation of our network authentication system, gaming console's must be registered to gain access to the Internet.

Please use the following link to register your console: https://Gameregister.calu.edu.

How do I register my personal device on the campus network?

It is very easy to register your computer on the Cal U network. The on screen directions are fairly simple to follow but if you run into issues, below are some guides to assist you.

Windows 7

Windows 8


Cable Television

Cable Television

Cable television service is provided for every room in student housing and various academic spaces throughout the campus. Effective October 29, 2014, all channels are provided in a ‘QAM 256’ digital format.

All televisions on campus must contain a QAM 256 digital tuner to receive the channels. Older analog televisions are no longer compatible with the University’s cable TV system. Most televisions today are digital/QAM compliant, however less expensive or budget televisions may not be. To find out if your television has a QAM tuner, please check the specifications in your owner's manual, or visit the manufacturer's website.

Televisions that, depending on model, may be missing the QAM tuner:

  • Apex
  • Dynex
  • Element
  • Haier
  • Seiki
  • Sylvania

If you are choosing one of these brands, please verify that the model has a QAM 256 tuner. Please be advised that less expensive TVs sometimes come with a lower quality QAM tuner that may be unable to tune all of the channels.

Where can I find a channel guide for the Cable TV on Campus?

Here is a list of Cable TV Channels on Campus.


Is Guest Wireless Access available for Visitors/Guests?

Yes. Simply join the CALUGUEST SSID and launch a web browser. A username/password will be texted and/or emailed to you upon completion of the form.

Campus Intranet Site (CWIS)

How do I access the Campus Intranet Site (CWIS)?

You can access CWIS by clicking here.

UTech Helpdesk - Email: utechrequests@calu.edu - Phone - 724-938-5911

Twitter - @CalUPATech

Contact UTech Help Desk