Your Introduction to Handshake
At Cal U, you can take advantage of Handshake, our new, comprehensive online career and internship resource connecting you to our students and graduates. Register for your account today so you can use Handshake at your desktop and on your mobile device to:
- Post job, internship and co-op positions at multiple schools for free.
- Schedule on-campus information table, on-campus interviews and, register for career fairs.
- Contact student candidates and benefit from Handshake's strong open and reply rates.
- Narrow down potential hires using advanced filter options.
Connect to Handshake
Getting set up in Handshake is an important step in your partnership with Cal U. Click on the questions below to get next steps and more information about Handshake. If you need more help, contact the Career and Professional Development Center at 724-938-4413 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get started on Handshake, create your employer account here.
These are instruction for new users; employers also can get help at the Handshake Help Center.
- Go to app.joinhandshake.com and select Sign Up for an Account.
- Select the Employer account type from the options presented.
- Fill out the information requested then click Sign Up.
- Enter your recruiting interests and alma mater to help us better understand how you'll use Handshake. Then click Continue
- If you are a third-party recruiter, select answer Yes, then review and agree to Handshake's third-party recruiter policy to move forward. If you are not a third-party recruiter, select No. Then, click Continue.
- Next, you will see a screen that contains instructions on how to verify your account via the email address you provided. The email should arrive within 10 minutes and will contain a link enabling you to confirm your account. You must click this link before you can proceed with the registration process. If you don't receive a confirmation email, see the steps outlined in this.
- When the email arrives, click the Confirm Email button to verify your account.
- When you click Confirm Email in your confirmation email, you will be brought back to Handshake. If your company already exists in our system, you'll see it listed at the top of the page. You can click Join to connect with your company.
- If you do not see the right company, or if no company pre-populates, you can use the search bar to find your company. If your company does not exist, you can click the Create New Company Read How do I create a company profile to learn more about completing your company profile in Handshake. If your company is not listed and you think that an additional account should be opened for your domain, please reach out to email@example.com to discuss opening an additional Handshake account.
- Next, you will want to choose schools to connect to. Use the filters on the left side of the screen to narrow down schools by rank, size and location. To request to connect with an individual school, click the "+" button in the corner of the school logo. If you are interested in connecting with all schools in the Handshake network, you can click Select All in the top right corner of the screen.
If you are not automatically connected with your company, you will see that your account is pending. To learn more about being in a pending status at your company, read What does it mean to be "pending" at a school?.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To post your positions directly on Handshake:
- Login to your Handshake account.
- Select Post a Job from your employer dashboard.
- Fill in the basic information for the job position.
- Select Nextand fill in the job details.
- Specify the job functions.
- Add the salary.
- Your location auto-populates based on the location of your headquarters, but you can change it to a city and state if you want to leave it generic.
- If you can sponsor students or hire CPT/OPT candidates, select all that apply.
- Select all the required documents.
- Select Nextand input your preferences for the position:
- Input graduation range or choose to qualify students based on their school year.
- Add minimum GPA, if applicable.
- Select the majors that are relevant to this position.
- Select your applicant packages and how you'd like to receive notification.
- Select Next to add the schools where you want to post your job.
Select the schools where you would like your position to be posted.
- Choose an expiration date for when the position is closed.
- Check each box if you are doing on-campus interviews.
- Select Createand review your posting.
NOTE: Once you add a job or make changes to a current job, the information will be reviewed by the Career and Professional Development Center before it is posted. Send questions to email@example.com.
To search for students at Cal U:
- Click Studentson the left navigation bar.
- Selectthe criteria for your search on the left side of the screen.
The best results are typically achieved by searching for:
- Major groups.
- Keywords (e.g., student interests, programming languages, awards).
- School year.
If you have a trust score of 80 or higher, you also have the option to download student resumes:
- Click on individual student names, or on the uppermost checkbox to select the entire page of results. Checking even one student will cause bulk action options to appear. You can select the entirety of your search results, message students and download their resumes. Under More Actions you also can add or remove a label on these students, or download their resumes in a zip file.
- Click Download Resumes or Download Resumes: Zip depending upon your preference.
- A window will pop up. Click Confirm to proceed with the download.
- A window will appear when your results are ready. Click the linkto view your results. Note: For employers, there is a 500-student limit; for career services, there is a 500-student limit on public document downloads.
You will then be sent a download of student resumes.
- Click the Request Interview Schedule tab on your employer dashboard.
- Fill out the Basics section of the form:
- School: The school where you are requesting the interview schedule. Note: You will only be able to choose from schools at which you've been approved and those schools must be in their interview period. If you'd like to interview at a school that does not appear in your drop-down list of available schools, read How do I request access to a school? to learn more about how to get approved at additional schools.
- Contacts: The interviewers from your company who will be present for the interviews. Note: You're welcome to include staff members at your company who do not have a Handshake profile.
- Description:Describe the interview. Provide any information students might use to prepare for the interview, including the format, the number of interviewers that will be present, etc. If you'll administer a skills test or if you'd like the student to bring work samples to the interview, share that information here.
- Click Timelinefrom the steps at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the date you are interested in interviewing on campus. You will then be asked how many rooms you would like to reserve on that day. Note: Cal U may have a limit on the number of rooms you can request, as well as a limit on dates available for interviews. If you have any questions about availability, contact the Career and Professional Development Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select the time slots when you would like to interview students. These are time slots that are accepted at the university you are interviewing at.
- Once you have selected your interview date, interview timeline and interview slot template, you can move to the next step, which is
- Choose the job you would like to attach to this interview schedule:
- Create a New Job:Use this option to create a new job and new details, requirements and qualifications.
- Copy Job Details:Copy job details from an existing job. This will create a new job posting and will not import any job applicants.
- Use Existing Job:Use this option to attach an existing job and its current applicants to the interview schedule.
- If you are not ready to post a position, you can click Remind Me Later. This option will send you an email four days before the Apply Start Date, reminding you to post a position and attach it to the schedule.
- When you are ready to move on, select Review from the bottom tabs.
- Review your interview dates and details and go back to any steps you would like to edit.
Your interview schedule will now be sent to the university you selected in the Basics section. Depending on the permissions you have at the school, the interview will be automatically approved or it will go into a pending status at the university. You will be notified when your schedule has been approved or declined. To learn more about the roles a school can assign, read What are the list of permissions a school can assign? Send questions to email@example.com.