CONNECT: Prepare for Employment or Graduate School
Give your career after PennWest California the right start even before you graduate.
PennWest California helps you explore your options for your major and career path and provides opportunities for you to experience your field of interest through internships or co-ops.
As a final step, you can connect with the path you want to pursue after graduation, whether that's going on to graduate school or starting your first job.
The Career and Professional Development Center and the Internship Center can help you take the next steps toward achieving your goals with these resources and information:
- Connect to Handshake, your online resource tool.
- Get ready for employment.
- Plan for graduate school.
Review the sections below to help make your plans for first job and career, or to go on to graduate school.
Here are some other helpful tools and resources:
- To get an overview of the career planning process at PennWest California, view our short video on Career Advantage.
- For a complete reference and resource guide for new job seekers, check out PennWest California's Career Resource Guide.
Get help at the Career and Professional Development Center. To schedule an appointment, log into your Handshake account and click on the "Appointments" link under the Career Center tab. You also can stop in for quick tips during drop-in hours from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. every weekday at the Natali Student Center, Suite 138.
Handshake is a comprehensive online career resource that connects you to internships, jobs, events and appointments with your Career Coach.
Entering the workforce as a new college graduate requires solid preparation. Here are tips to help you take the right steps as you look for your first job.
- How to write your resume and cover letter.
- Prepare for job interviews.
- Attend job or internship fairs.
- Succeeding at networking.
- Using social media in your search.
- Tips to avoid jobs scams.
Plan for Graduate School
If your plans include earning an advanced degree, you'll want to explore graduate study. Learn how to select and apply to graduate school. Get information about letters of recommendation, graduate school interviews, writing your application essay and more.