Professional networking is so important in gaining a career advantage. In fact, it's how most people find an internship or job, because many of these opportunities are not advertised.
As a Cal U student, you'll have the opportunity to network with alumni, employers, faculty and students. You also will want to talk with other people you know and everyone you meet to let them know about your career interests. You never know when a contact can lead to a job opportunity.
Check out events where you can use your networking skills on Handshake.
Through effective networking, you will be able to:
- Learn what a job in your field of interest is really like.
- Establish contacts in your career field who can help you build your career network.
- Gain a firsthand impression of a specific company or organization of interest to you.
- Receive practical ideas and insider advice about how to enter your career field.
- Learn more about the professional skills and savvy needed to successfully transition from college to the world of work.
- Attend professional organization meetings in your field to meet more people and make business contacts.
CAL U Career Network
The Cal U Career Network is a group of Cal U students, graduates and employers on LinkedIn who are interested in professional networking.
The group is managed by the Career and Professional Development Center to enable students, alumni, employers and other stakeholders to connect with one another about careers. Career information such as resume and interviewing tips, job search strategies and networking/ employment events are posted to the main group, which currently has more than 2,000 members.
Cal U Career Network members have the opportunity to join subgroups where they can participate in group discussions and discuss opportunities related to their career field.
To join the Cal U Career Network, simply create a profile on LinkedIn. Then search for and join the group called Cal U Career Network. On the Cal U Career Network page, you can join industry-related subgroups that relate most to your career field: Just click the More link, then click on Subgroups.
The Right Tools
A successful job search also requires that you have the right materials ready, starting with a professional business card. The Career and professional Development Center makes it easy for you to order your own business cards. Visit our online resource to review available business card designs, cost for orders and an online order form. You'll make your cash-only payment for your business card order to the Career and Professional Development Center, which is located in the Natali Student Center, Suite 138.
More helpful steps you can take include:
- Review How to Write Your Resume and Cover Letter. [link to page with the same title]
- Schedule an appointment to meet with your Career Coach in the CPDC for additional networking tips and contacts.
- Check out these resources for additional information to help you develop the most effective networking strategy:
- Build Your Network Using LinkedIn
- Connect on LinkedIn - Sample Messages
- LinkedIn Profile Job Search &Checklist
- Explore Jobs and Careers Through Information Interviews and Job Shadowing