To return material to a vendor for exchange or credit, follow these steps:
The department/office must:
- Call or e-mail the expediter in the Office of Purchasing and provide the following
- Purchase order number
- Description of the incorrect material, including the model number, serial number and bar code number
- Description of the correct item
- Deliver the incorrect item to the storeroom.
- Under no circumstances will the department deliver or send material to the vendor.
The Office of Purchasing will:
- Get a return authorization number from the vendor.
- Prepare a packing slip and shipping label.
- Note return information on line 500 of purchase order.
- Follow up on return. If the return is a credit transaction, Purchasing will obtain the check from the vendor and deposit the check using the department's accounts.
The storeroom will:
- Reverse receipt information in purchasing system.
- Remove bar code label.
- Pack material.
- Ship to vendor.
- Receive new material and deliver to department.