Department of Culture, Media, and Performance
Debbie Goh specializes in news reporting, digital journalism, and the transformation of the news industry. Her research focuses on news rhetoric, digital inequalities and the processes that influence engagement with new media technologies. She received her Ph.D. in Mass Communication and M.A. in Journalism from Indiana University Bloomington. A former journalist with The Straits Times in Singapore, she continues to actively engage with the news industry as a collaborator and writer for the the World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers. She also advises the Cal U student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
- Goh, D. (2020, October 22). Facebook news reaches “significant new audiences.” World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers. https://wan-ifra.org/2020/10/facebook-news-reaches-significant-new-audiences/
- Goh, D. (2020, October 21). Tips for news publishers on monetising video, audio. World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers. https://wan-ifra.org/2020/10/tips-for-news-publishers-on-monetising-video-audio/
- Goh, D. (2020, July 28). The newsroom transformation. Reimagining the distributed workplace. World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers. https://blog.wan-ifra.org/2020/07/28/the-newsroom-transformation-reimagining-the-distributed-workplace
- Kale, U., Akcaoglu, M., Cullen, T., Goh, D. (2018) Contextual factors influencing access to teaching computational thinking. Computers in the Schools. 35(2), 69-87. doi: 10.1080/07380569.2018.1462630
- Goh, D., Ling, R., Huang, L., & Liew, D. (2017). News sharing as reciprocal exchanges in social cohesion maintenance. Information, Communication & Society. https://doi.org/ 10.1080/1369118X.2017.1406973
- Goh, D., & Chi, J. (2017). Central or peripheral? Information elaboration cues on childhood vaccination in an online parenting forum. Computers in Human Behaviour, 69, 181–188.
- Tandoc, E., Ling, R., Westlund, O., Duffy, A., Goh, D., & Lim, Z. (2017). Audiences’ acts of authentication in the age of fake news: A conceptual framework. New Media & Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444817731756
- Goh, D. (2015). Narrowing the knowledge gap: The role of alternative online media in an authoritarian press system. Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, 92(4), 977-897.
- Goh, D., & Kale, U. (2015). The urban-rural gap: Project-based learning with technology among West Virginian teachers. Technology Pedagogy, and Education. doi=10.1080/1475939X.2015.1051490
- Goh, D., & Kale, U. (2015). From print to digital platforms: A PBL framework for fostering multimedia competencies and consciousness in traditional journalism education. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 70(3), 307-323.
Bachelor in Communication Studies, Nanyang Technologiical University, Singapore
M.A. Journalism: Indiana University, Bloomington
Ph.D. Mass Communication: Indiana University, Bloomington
Office: Azorsky Hall Room 220