Department of Business and Economics
Dr. Elizabeth Jones loves teaching — especially teaching online! She coordinates the online undergraduate business program. She is also a Quality Matters Master Reviewer for blended and online courses.
Dr. Jones holds a doctorate in organization and management from Capella University. In her leadership and management courses, she focuses directly on the interplay between leadership context and leadership expression. She is dedicated to facilitating deep understanding of the leader within each person. Her research interests include women’s leadership, authenticity in leadership and followership, leadership toxicity, and issues in teaching leadership.
Dr. Jones is also a seasoned leader and executive. She managed an award-winning technical division from 2002 until 2010 for the Department of Defense, where she worked for more than three decades prior to retirement from federal service. She been teaching full time since then.
Dr. Jones is the editor of a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal, Journal of Case Studies. She previously edited the Journal of Critical Incidents.
Recent publications with students:
- To Consign or Not to Consign? Co-authored with Jessica Johnson (student) and Lawrence Beyer. Journal of Critical Incidents, 10, 44-46. Fall 2017.
- HBO NOW: Watch Out Netflix! Co-authored with Kristyn Bird Hayman (student) and Ademar Bechtold. Journal of Case Studies, 35(2), 37-43. Fall 2017.
- Life after Senegal. Co-authored with Elida M. Lynch and Meredith A. E. Collier (students). Journal of Case Studies, 33(2), 123-130. Fall 2015. Won JCS Case of the Year award in July 2016.
Recent presentations about online learning and teaching
- Authentic Interaction in Virtual Realities: Practical Applications for Teaching Teamwork Online. Co-authored with Deborah Calhoun. Presented in the leadership development track at the 20th International Leadership Association global conference, West Palm Beach, Fla., October 2018.
- Teaching Teamwork Online: Practical Applications for Virtual Reality. Co-authored with Deborah Calhoun. Presented in the teaching excellence track at the 30th annual ACBSP Conference, Kansas City, Kan., June 2018.
- Using Authentic Cases to Build Mindful Leadership: A Multi-Phase Classroom Approach. Presented in the leadership education track at the 19th International Leadership Association global conference, Brussels, Belgium, October 2017.
- Advanced Business Management: Curriculum Review and Indicators. Presented at the request of Maryland Public Schools division of the Maryland State Department of Education at the Business, Management, & Finance Summer Institute, Towson, MD, July 2016. Two-hour seminar detailing pathways and resources to prepare high school students to pass the Management CLEP exam.
Recent invited presentations on leadership
- Leading Together. Lunch and learn presentation addressing the Kennedy Krieger Institute matrix and competencies. Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore Md. February 28, 2018.
- Organizational Development Workshop. Presented to Center for Autism and Related Disorders, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, MD. Eight-hour workshop for 120-member organization. September 2015.
- Leadership, Followership, and Positive Coaching Strategies Workshop. Co-presented with Daniel Durgin at Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, Md. Three-hour workshop for 17 front-line supervisors and mid-level managers. May 2014.
- B.G.S. Social Sciences: University of Kentucky
- M.S. Organization and Management: Capella University
- Ph.D. Organization and Management: Capella University
Office: Watkins Hall 217