Internship Coordinator: Professional Golf Management
Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies
Mr. Pond, or J.R. as his students call him, joined the team at California University of Pennsylvania in August of 2017 after 5 seasons as the PGA Head Golf Professional at Lone Pine Country Club in Washington, PA. 12 years working at public and private golf facilities in the Pittsburgh region, and nearly 20 years in the golf industry, helps J.R. bring a wealth of industry knowledge into the classroom.
Expertise in Merchandising, Tournament Operations, Golf Operations Management, Instruction and the Development of Comprehensive Player Development Programs contribute to the learning environment for the students of the Professional Golf Management (PGM) Program.
J.R. considers himself a student of the game and business of golf seeking out opportunities to continue the learning process so the information brought into the classroom is at the forefront of the global golf industry. Whether your goals are in business, developing relationships, or instruction; J.R. and the faculty of Cal U’s PGM Program will help you achieve success.
- Intermediate Topics in Professional Golf Management
- Teaching of Golf I
- Golf Operations
- Advanced Topics in Professional Golf Management
- Teaching Golf II
- Professional Golf Management Internship III, IV, V
- Professional Golf Management Player Development Program
Professional Affiliations and Service Learning Projects
- Professional Golfers' Association (PGA) of America - Tri-State PGA Section Professional
- Mr. Pond along with Mr. Barroner and the Professional Golf Management Student Society coordinate a fund-raising golf tournament each year - "Tee-It-Up Fore Tots" - for the Children's Institute of Pittsburgh.
- B.A. California University of Pennsylvania: Professional Golf Management
- Graduate Student: Exercise Science and Sport Studies - Performance Enhancement and Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation
Office: Gallagher Hall 215