Professor and Global Online MSN Program Coordinator
Department of Nursing
Dr. O'Connor is Professor of Nursing and Global Online Coordinator of the MSN programs. Prior to joining the faculty at Cal U, she held an academic position at La Roche University, where she was coordinator of the graduate program in nursing management, and adjunct and doctoral teaching fellow positions at the University of Pittsburgh. She has held nursing administrative positions as director of nursing at St. Francis Medical Center and UPMC Mercy Hospital.
Dr. O'Connor developed the fully accredited MSN program in Nursing Administration and Leadership, and helped to initiate the MSN in Nursing Education and MSN-MBA programs. She is a legal nurse consultant and developed and taught courses in legal nursing in Cal U's MSN program and previous universities. She presents nationally and locally to nursing professionals on the legal aspects of nursing practice.
She is the recipient of Cal U's President's Gala Award for Service, serves as chair of the APSCUF-CalU Legislative Committee, is a board member of Cal U's American Democracy Project, and serves on other University committees.
Presentations and Publications
- O’Connor, M.A. (May 9, 2019). Legal Aspects of Nursing Documentation. Speaker, Allegheny Health Network, West Penn Hospital. Pittsburgh, PA.
- O’Connor, M.A. (April 26, 2019). Legal/Ethical Aspects of IV Therapy/Infusion Nursing. Speaker, LITEVAN 2019 Annual Conference, Nemacolin Woodlands.
- O'Connor, M.A. Legal Aspects of Nursing for Nurse Anesthetists. Guest lecturer, Professional Aspects of Anesthesia Practice Course. La Roche College, PA. (Annually)
- O'Connor, M.A. (Legal/Ethical Aspects of Nursing for Oncology Nurses. Advanced Oncology Course, Allegheny Health Network. (Annually)
- O'Connor, M.A. & Glass, P. (March 13, 14 & 15 2016). Hardwiring Assignments into an MSN Program Curriculum Resulting in Student Publications and Presentations. Presentation at EDU - SIM Conference 2016, Drexel University Nursing Education Institute.
- O'Connor, M.A. (September 9, 2015). Health Systems. Guest Lecturer Presentation at Global Health Honors Course to students at California University of Pennsylvania
- O'Connor, M.A. (June 18, 2014). Linking Interprofessional Education (IPE) and Collaborative Practice through MSN Practicum Projects. Presentation at Drexel University Nursing Education Institute.
- O'Connor, M.A (Fall 2013). Latex Allergies. Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting (JLNC).
- O'Connor, M.A (Spring 2013). The New England Compounding Center. JLNC.
- O'Connor, M.A. (Summer 2005). Polyps and Colorectal Cancer. JLNC.
- O'Connor, M.A. (Winter 2005). Vioxx & Product Liability Issues. JLNC.
- O'Connor, M.A (October 2003). Legal Nurse Consulting Fees. JLNC.
- Pennsylvania Organization of Nurse Leaders (PONL), Board Secretary.
- Southwestern Pennsylvania Organization of Nurse Leaders (SWPONL)
- American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
- Plan Advisory Board, LIFE Pittsburgh
- Quality Advisory Board, Bethany Hospice
- American Association of Legal Nurse Consulting (AALNC)
- B.S.N: Nursing, Carlow College
- M.S.N.: Nursing, University of Pittsburgh; concentration: Nursing Administration
- Ph.D.: Nursing, University of Pittsburgh; cognate area: Nursing Administration
Office: Morgan Hall 336