Department of Criminal Justice and Psychology
Dr. Piersaint is the owner of Serenity for Youth & Families, LLC, where she provides behavioral health therapy to children, youth and families, with a vision and hope of assisting and supporting her clients on their recovery journey. She is also the founder and director of L’Union Fait La Force – Haiti in Pittsburgh. She has over 15 years of clinical experience working with diverse populations across the lifespan. Dr. Piersaint has served as the assistant program director and program director for WPIC/UPMC's inpatient psychiatric units, child and adolescent units, and the bipolar adult and adolescent units, providing therapeutic treatment and administrative programmatic support. She has provided therapeutic support and treatment to clients with mood disorders, conversion disorders, chronic pain, depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, trauma & stress related disorders, as well as substance use and personality disorders.
Dr. Piersaint is involved in various civic and community activities/groups. She is a board member of the Immigrant & Internationals Advisory Board at the Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS), primarily focusing on mental health needs and access to culturally and linguistically appropriate services. As part of her membership, she has worked with board members on creating the Pittsburgh “Community Blueprint,” and has advocated for support to local interpreters to address vicarious trauma and psychoeducation in the immigrant population.
She has held position as chair of the Pennsylvania Psychological Association Graduate Students board (PPAGS), participating in advocacy days in Harrisburg, engaging legislators on concerns around child abuse laws and mental health treatment, while working with PPAGS on initiatives specific to advancing psychology and psychological services in the state.
- Piersaint, T.P., Cory’s Back, Serenity for Youth & Families Publishing, LLC (2020)
- Piersaint, T. P., My Brown Girl Journal , Serenity for Youth & Families Publishing, LLC (1) 10 (2020), https://www.serenityyouthpublishing.us/
- Piersaint, T. P., My Brown Girl Journal , Serenity for Youth & Families Publishing, LLC (2) 20 (2020), https://www.serenityyouthpublishing.us/
- University of Pittsburgh Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training Program, 2020: Invited Presenter, Social Determinants of Health & Diverse Populations
- Association of Black Psychologist (ABPSI), 2019: Workshop Presenter, Engaging Ethnically Diverse Clients: Incorporating MI & Stages of Change in Treatment - invited unable to attend
- National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns (NAMRC), 2019: Symposium Presenter, Engaging ethnically diverse clients: Incorporating MI & Stages of Change in treatment
- North American Society for the Study of Personality Disorders Conference (NASSPD), 2019: Poster Presentation, Pediatric Trauma & Borderline Personality Disorder
- Caribbean Regional Conference of Psychology – Haiti (CRCP), 2016: Presenter, Caribbean Mental Health Clubhouse
- International Society for Bipolar Disorders Convention - Canada (ISBD), 2015: Poster Presenter at Annual ISBD Convention, Suicide and Adolescent Bipolar Disorder: Is Substance Use a Moderator for Suicide in Bipolar Spectrum Disorder?
Selected Media/Speaking Engagements
- Redemption Baptist Church of Pompano Beach, 2020: Invited Panelist, “What is Depression”
- Steel Smiling Pittsburgh, 2020: Invited Presenter, “Manage the Stress: Distress Tolerance Skills, IMPROVE the Moment”
- Dr. Darryl Canady Live, 2020: Invited Presenter, “Covid-19 & African-American Children: A Discussion on Mental Health”
- NeighborHOOD Conversations – Highmark Foundation, 2019: Invited Panelist, “Real Conversations about Women’s Mental Health”
- Women of Power and Purpose: Strength for the Journey - Rodman Street Missionary Baptist Church, 2018: Invited Speaker, “Seeking an Emotional Hug: Why we seek validation from others?”
Immigrant and Refugee Mental Health, SES and Mental Health, Minority Health Disparities, Healthcare & Vocational Support for the Homeless, Domestic Violence, Depression, Mental Health & Education, Schizophrenia.
B.A. Psychology and minor in Women’s Studies: University of Rhode Island
M.A. Rehabilitation Counseling: Salve Regina University
Post Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Administration and Management: Salve Regina University
Psy.D. Counseling Psychology: Carlow University
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC): Pennsylvania
Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC): National Certification
Office: Morgan Hall Room 324