Department of Business, Economics and Enterprise Sciences
Dr. Tom Mueller has been a geography professor at California University of Pennsylvania since 1999. He co-created and is the advisor for the geography major with a concentration in GIS and emergency management. His interests include geographic information systems (computer mapping), geography education and world regional geography. His goal is to apply spatial theory to the real world, particularly using GIS.
It is essential that service learning be included in his geography courses. For example, students in his courses have completed real world projects for local police departments, Federal Emergency Management Agency, etc.
He has also taught numerous GIS workshops for members of the local community, professors at Cal U and other campuses and K - 12 community. He has built a successful geography research agenda through a variety of scholarly endeavors, including conference presentations, grants, technical reports, book reviews and publications in professional journals. In fact, Dr. Mueller will present this spring on Humanitarian Mapping in the classroom at the American Association of Geographers.
A few of Dr. Mueller's accomplishments include:
1) Completing the Afghanistan Spatial Data Center Professional User Certification
2) Publishing a lesson on Ukraine and Language on the Ukrainian Research Institute at Harvard University's website.
3) Serving as one of the assistant directors of the GeoTech Center (A National Science Foundation funded project), where he is working on geointelligence education at the K - 12 and college levels.
- B.S.: Geography, Towson University
- M.A.: Geography, University of Connecticut
- Ph.D.: Geography, University of Illinois
Office: Eberly Hall Room 207