May 2019 Commencement
Please be sure to review and take note of key dates associated with May 2019 commencement-related activities.
February 15, 2019
Deadline to apply for May 2019 graduation. Find May 2019 graduation applications online (via VIP beginning January 22, 2019).
- Students who graduated in January 2019 are invited to participate in our May 2019 commencement activities.
- Students who will graduate in August 2019 are invited to participate in our December
2019 commencement activities. Only under extenuating circumstances can students gain
approval to walk early. See your Dean's office for additional details.
- An online application (through VIP) must be submitted for the application process
to be considered complete.
- All students should contact their academic department in order to obtain further information on official graduation requirements and responsibilities. Eligibility for honors at graduation should also be reviewed.
Initial commencement information will be sent to graduating students (based on May 2019 online graduation applications received by the deadline of February 15, 2019 and January 2019 graduates).
Be sure to take care of the following details early:
- Financial Aid Loan Exit Interview: Recipients of the Stafford Loan program must complete exit counseling after graduation in order ensure compliance with federal regulations. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, Dixon 105, 724-938-4415, with questions before graduation.
- Change of Address: Visit the post office link provided and change your address, if you will be moving out of the area after graduation. https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/disclaimer
- Voter Registration: Graduating students who will be moving and are registered to vote in Washington
County should update their registration with their new address, if staying within
Pennsylvania. Details can be found online: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/Pages/VoterRegistrationApplication.aspx
- Deadline Alert: 4/22/19 is the last day to register before the 5/21/19 election.
March 19, 2019
Last day for doctoral-degree students and faculty to submit orders to purchase regalia (requires 8 week lead time).
Graduating students in the doctoral program planning to participate in the ceremony are REQUIRED to call Pam Pazzabon at the University Bookstore at 724-938-5572 no later than Tuesday, March 19, 2019 to arrange for rental or purchase of regalia; doctorate regalia is not available in store or online.
March 19, 2019
Last day for students to place online regalia orders for pick-up at the University Bookstore. Orders can be picked up in the bookstore beginning Tuesday, April 16, 2019. Please be aware that a limited inventory of regalia will also be available for in-person purchases at the bookstore.
March 25, 2019
The Graduation Fair will be held on Monday, March 25, 2019 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the University Bookstore located in the Natali Student Center. It is recommended that students purchase caps and gowns at least one month prior to commencement before sizes become limited and it is too late to place special orders.
- Check out current regalia pricing HERE.
- Order announcements, caps and gowns, and diploma frames online HERE.
- Order your Cal U class ring HERE.
Honors cords will be available at the University Bookstore for associate, bachelor, and master degree candidates who meet the academic policy requirements. Because of various commencement ceremony-related deadlines, cumulative grade point averages from the semester prior to the last semester are used to determine honors status at commencement. Honors cords can be obtained at the University Bookstore (at no charge).
April 5, 2019
Online cap and gown orders can be shipped to the home for a $12.95 fee if ordered by Friday, April 5, 2019.
April 12, 2019
Late online orders for cap and gowns can be shipped to the home for a $33.95 fee if students order by Friday, April 12, 2019.
April 12, 2019
The deadline for faculty to rent regalia for commencement is Friday, April 12, 2019.
Housing Break Request Form will be available for graduating students and students participating in commencement to extend stay in the residence halls to Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 2 p.m.
April 29, 2019
Students with disabilities should request necessary accommodations. Alternate access arrangements for commencement events and/or all other accommodation requests should be made to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), preferably by Monday, April 29, 2019. Contact OSD in person, Carter Hall - G35, or by phone, 724-938-5781.
April 29-May 3, 2019
Graduating students may return parking permits from April 29-May 3, 2019. If students are required to be on campus, temporary parking permits can be obtained for the last week of the semester. Return parking permits to Room 123, Manderino Library. Please call 724-938-4677 with any questions.
May 3, 2019
Deadline to register your contact information with the Cal U Alumni Association. You are required to update your information to ensure inclusion in our many Young Alumni mailings, e-blasts, networking events, insurance offerings, discounted car rental rates, Cal U logo license plate orders, and more. Don't miss out on the many special services offered to our alumni! Be sure to also check out our upcoming alumni events and join the fun!
May 6, 2019
Deadline to complete the 3-minute Cal U First Destination Survey and be entered to win a Cal U diploma frame or $50 Amazon gift card! Click the link in the “First Destination/Share Your Story” email you received, or find the First Destination Survey under the “Career Center” section of your Handshake account.) Participation in this survey is required, so save yourself time and complete it before the graduation festivities begin!
May 9, 2019
Deadline to make class gifts for the 2019 Cal U Class Gift Drive. Contributors to the gift drive will receive special Class of 2019 and Cal U alumni items. All students who make their Class Gift of $20.19 before May 9 will receive a special Cal U pop socket!
Make your gift online by visiting https://tinyurl.com/calugiftdrive. Gifts are also being collected at the Office of University Development and Alumni Relations located in the Kara Alumni House, or by visiting the Class of 2019 Gift Drive table during the Commencement Rehearsal/Graduation Festivities on May 10.
May 10, 2019
UNDERGRADUATE COMMENCEMENT ACTIVITIES:
- Undergraduate Commencement Rehearsal, 11 a.m., Convocation Center
- President’s Luncheon on the Quad for Undergraduate Students, 12 p.m., The Quad (rain
location will be the Natali Student Center)
- Luncheon is for undergraduate students graduating this semester and invited faculty and staff only. Please be aware that guests are not permitted.
- RSVPs due May 2.
GRADUATE COMMENCEMENT ACTIVITIES:
- President’s Reception for Graduate Students, 5 p.m., South Conference Wing, Convocation
- Reception is for graduate students graduating this semester and invited faculty and staff only. Please be aware that guests are not permitted.
- RSVPs due May 2.
- Student Check-in/Assembly, 5:45 p.m., South Conference Wing, Convocation Center
- Instructions and details for the ceremony will be reviewed during student line-up/assembly; there is no formal rehearsal prior to the ceremony.
- Graduate Commencement, 7 p.m., Convocation Center
May 11, 2019
- Student Check-in/Assembly, 8:45 a.m., Outside Line-Up Locations (to be provided)
- Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, 10 a.m., Convocation Center