May 2020 Commencement
Please review the graduation checklist and dates below to make sure you are on track for graduation as we near the end of the semester. Be sure to take care of any outstanding items related to your student account as soon as possible to prevent any delays with the graduation process.
February 28, 2020
Deadline to apply for May 2020 graduation. Find May 2020 graduation applications online (via VIP beginning January 21, 2020).
- Students who graduated in January 2020 are invited to participate in our May 2020 commencement activities.
- Only under extenuating circumstances can students gain approval to walk early. See
your Dean's office for additional details.
- An online application (through VIP) must be submitted for the application process
to be considered complete.
- All students should contact their academic department in order to obtain further information on official graduation requirements and responsibilities. Eligibility for honors at graduation should also be reviewed.
Early- March 2020
Initial commencement information will be sent to graduating students (based on May 2020 online graduation applications received by the deadline of February 28, 2020 and all January 2020 graduates). Graduating students are required to check their Cal U email accounts frequently for important graduation and commencement-related information
Be sure to take care of the following details early:
- Financial Aid Loan Exit Interview: Recipients of the Stafford Loan program must complete exit counseling after graduation in order ensure compliance with federal regulations. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, Dixon 105, 724-938-4415, with questions before graduation.
- Change of Address: Visit this post office link provided and change your address, if you will be moving out of the area after graduation.
- Voter Registration: Graduating students who will be moving and are registered to vote in Washington
County should update their registration with their new address, if staying within
Pennsylvania. Details can be found online here.
- Deadline Alert: April 13, 2020 is the last day to register before the April 28, 2020 election.
March 9-13, 2020
University will be closed for Spring Break During March 9-13, 2020
Please note residence hall opening and closing times:
- Friday, March 6, 2020: Halls close at 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday, March 15, 2020: Halls open at 4:00 p.m.
March 15, 2020
Last day for students to place online regalia orders for pick-up at the University Bookstore.
Orders can be picked up in the bookstore beginning Monday, April 20, 2020. Please be aware that a limited inventory of regalia will also be available for in-person purchases at the bookstore.
March 16, 2020
Last day for doctoral-degree students and faculty to submit orders to purchase or rent custom doctoral regalia (requires 8 week lead time).
Graduating students in the doctoral program planning to participate in the ceremony are REQUIRED to call Christina Guess at the University Bookstore at 724-938-5572 no later than Monday, March 16, 2020 to arrange for rental or purchase of regalia; doctorate regalia is not available in store or online.
March 23, 2020
The Graduation Fair will be held on Monday, March 23, 2020 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the University Bookstore located in the Natali Student Center. It is recommended that students purchase caps and gowns at least one month prior to commencement before sizes become limited and it is too late to place special orders.
- Check out current regalia pricing HERE.
- Order announcements, caps and gowns, and diploma frames online HERE.
- Order your Cal U class ring HERE.
Honors cords will be available at the University Bookstore for associate, bachelor, and master degree candidates who meet the academic policy requirements. Because of various commencement ceremony-related deadlines, cumulative grade point averages from the semester prior to the last semester are used to determine honors status at commencement. Honors cords can be obtained at the University Bookstore (at no charge).
April 13, 2020
Deadline for online cap and gown orders can be shipped to the home for a $14.95 fee if ordered by Monday, April 13, 2020
Housing Break Request Form will be available for graduating students and students participating in commencement to extend stay in the residence halls to Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 2 p.m. Please note residence halls willclose on Friday, May 8, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. for all who have not submitted a request form.
April 17, 2020
The deadline for faculty to rent regalia for commencement is Friday, April 17, 2020
April 19, 2020
Late online orders for cap and gowns can be shipped to the home for a $36.95 fee if students order by Sunday, April 19, 2020
April 20, 2020
Students with disabilities must request necessary accommodations at least two weeks in advance of the ceremonies. Alternate access arrangements for commencement events and/or all other accommodation requests should be made to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD), preferably by Monday, April 20, 2020. Contact OSD in person, Carter Hall - G35, or by phone, 724-938-5781.
Please be aware that accommodations are not reserved for guests with disabilities. Our guests with disabilities are offered parking and seating in order of arrival. University staff will be available at the commencement ceremonies to direct guests to the available, designated parking and seating areas.
April 20, 2020
Online regalia orders will be ready for pick-up at the bookstore (if selected and ordered by March 15) beginning Monday, April 20, 2020. Please be aware that a limited inventory of regalia will also be available for in-person purchases at the bookstore.
April 27-May 1, 2020
Graduating students may return parking permits from April 27-May 1, 2020. If students are required to be on campus, temporary parking permits can be obtained for the last week of the semester. Return parking permits to Room 123, Manderino Library. Please call 724-938-4677 with any questions.
May 4, 2020
Deadline to register your contact information with the Cal U Alumni Association. You are required to update your information to ensure inclusion in our many Young Alumni mailings, e-blasts, networking events, insurance offerings, discounted car rental rates, Cal U logo license plate orders, and more. Don't miss out on the many special services offered to our alumni! Be sure to also check out our upcoming alumni events and join the fun!
Make your gift online by visiting https://tinyurl.com/calugiftdrive. Gifts are also being collected at the Office of University Development and Alumni Relations located in the Kara Alumni House, or by visiting the 1852 Society/2019 Cal U Class Gift Drive table during the Commencement rehearsal and graduation festivities on December 13.
May 6, 2020
Deadline to complete the 3-minute Cal U First Destination Survey through Handshake and be entered to win a Cal U diploma frame or $50 Amazon gift card! Participation in this survey is required, so save yourself time and complete it before the graduation festivities begin.
Click the link in the “First Destination/Share Your Story” email you received, or find the First Destination Survey under the “Career Center” section of your Handshake account.)
May 7, 2020
Attend the Alumni Relations’ Class of 2020 Send-Off Event at the Kara Alumni House from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 7, 2020. Celebrate the completion of your student career as you get ready to join Cal U’s fun and proud club of alumni! Enjoy an evening of networking and alumni mentoring, as well as the chance to get a professional head shot taken to enhance your portfolio/profile. And, don’t miss out on complimentary hors d'oeuvres and a toast to the graduates!
May 8, 2020
Deadline to make your class gift to the 1852 Society/2020 Cal U Class Gift Drive. Contributors to the 1852 Society will receive special Cal U alumni items. All students who make their gift of $20.20 before May 8 will receive a special 2020 red mortarboard tassel to wear during the commencement ceremony.
In addition, any member of the Class of 2020 with a $5 recurring monthly subscription or one-time $50 gift will also receive graduation cords to wear during the ceremony.
Make your gift online by visiting https://tinyurl.com/calugiftdrive. Gifts are also being collected at the Office of University Development and Alumni Relations located in the Kara Alumni House, or by visiting the 1852 Society/2020 Cal U Class Gift Drive table during the commencement rehearsal and graduation festivities on Friday, May 8, 2020.
May 8, 2020
UNDERGRADUATE COMMENCEMENT ACTIVITIES:
- Undergraduate Commencement Rehearsal, 11 a.m., Convocation Center
- President’s Luncheon for Undergraduate Students, 12-2 p.m., The Quad (rain location: Heritage Lounge, Natali Student Center)
- After rehearsal, attend this fun and relaxing event hosted by President Jones to celebrate and enjoy time with fellow graduates before Saturday’s festivities. Feast on great food, get a caricature portrait drawn, and listen to live music. And, be sure to look for the strolling mentalist/illusionist for some magic and mind-reading!
- The luncheon is for undergraduate students graduating this semester and invited faculty and staff only. Guests are not permitted.
- RSVPs are due by May 1 at 4 p.m.
GRADUATE COMMENCEMENT ACTIVITIES:
- President’s Reception for Graduate Students, 5 p.m., South Conference Wing, Convocation Center
- Attend this relaxing event hosted by President Jones and celebrate your academic accomplishments. Enjoy light hors d'oeuvres and network with fellow graduates and faculty members before the ceremony.
- The reception is for graduate students graduating this semester and invited faculty and staff only. Guests are not permitted.
- RSVPs are due by May 1 at 4 p.m.
- Student Check-in/Assembly, starting at 5:45 p.m., South Conference Wing, Convocation
- Instructions and details for the ceremony will be reviewed during student line-up/assembly; there is no formal rehearsal prior to the ceremony.
- Graduate Commencement Ceremony, 7 p.m., Convocation Center
- Convocation Center doors open to guests at 5 p.m. Guests should be seated no later than 6:30 p.m.
May 9, 2020
- Student Check-in/Assembly, 8:45 a.m., Outside Line-Up Locations (to be provided)
- Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, 10 a.m., Convocation Center
- Convocation Center doors open to guests at 8 a.m. Guests should be seated no later than 9:15 a.m.
Save the Dates!
All August 2020 graduates and December 2020 candidates are invited to attend Cal U's 191st Commencement Celebration:
- Graduate ceremony: Friday, December 11, 2020 at 7 p.m.
- Undergraduate ceremony: Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 10 a.m.