What to Do if You've Been Activated

Many student reservists and members of the National Guard have asked what to do in the event of activation.

Until you receive official orders, you should continue your educational planning. This includes scheduling classes, completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and applying for National Guard Education Assistance and the GI Bill®.

In particular, keep in mind the deadline for completing the FAFSA. In the event of activation, your applications can be canceled. However, if you are not activated, all the pieces will be in place for the next term, and you will be ready to continue your education.

If you are ordered to report for activation, you should:

  • Report your status to the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs in Residence Hall E. If you are ordered to report with little or no notice and cannot come in to the office, call the office immediately at 724-938-4076 (voice mail will answer 24 hours a day) or email veterans@calu.edu.
    • Provide your name, Social Security number and class schedule.
    • Provide your unit's point of contact, phone number and address.
    • Provide a copy of your orders for activation when available.
  • Contact Cal U's Financial Aid Office for information about your financial aid.

The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs will contact students who may be affected by an activation to discuss your options and next steps. We're here to help: The office will contact the appropriate University offices to inform them about your situation.