ACCEPTED STUDENTS: NEXT STEPS
On-Campus International Students
Congratulations on your official acceptance to California University of Pennsylvania!
We're here to support you as you start your exciting Cal U journey. Follow the checklist below to make sure you do everything need to do before you start at Cal U.
If you need assistance or have questions, call John Watkins, Cal U's coordinator for international students, at +1 724-938-1599 or email him at Watkins@calu.edu.
- Download and read the International Students Welcome Packet
- Download and read information and tips for applying for an F-1 student visa.
Confirm Your Acceptance
- Confirm your acceptance within 10 days of acceptance notification by emailing your International Student Confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay your $100 tuition deposit using the Flywire payment service.
Start Your F-1 Student Visa Application
Set up shipping for your SEVP I-20 form by following instructions provided in an email from John Watkins.
Schedule an F-1 Student Visa Application interview with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country while you wait for your I-20 shipment to arrive. To set up the interview you will need your SEVIS ID number (found in the SEVP 1-20 email received from John Watkins).
Locate your assigned U.S. Embassy or Consulate and view wait times.
Pay the I-901/SEVIS fee prior to attending your F-1 visa application appointment.
Set Up Your Cal U Email
- Set up your campus email account using the Campus Wide ID number (CWID) from your acceptance letter.
- Log into your email account, and check it regularly. Your professors, adviser and others will contact you through your Cal U email instead of your personal email.
Register for Classes
- Log in to the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP) using the user ID and password you created for your email.
- Register for Classes by following the instructions in VIP.
- International undergraduate students will confirm the class schedule created by the Scheduling Center and must take a minimum of 12 credits.
- International graduate students need to consult with the academic adviser listed on their VIP account before registering for courses and must take a minimum of 9 credits.
- Accept the Financial Terms & Conditions in VIP.
Apply for On-Campus Housing
Finalize your housing and meal plan in VIP.
- Housing and meal plan options can be found on our website
Prepare for Health and Wellness
- Complete a Medical Information Form with the assistance of your physician. Your Medical Information Form must be submitted to the university Wellness Center when you arrive on campus.
- Acquire a student health insurance plan that includes medical evacuation and repatriation benefits. Student health insurance is required of all Cal U students. Your plan must be effective in the United States for the entirety of your studies at Cal U, and proof of coverage must be provided to the International Students Coordinator upon arrival on campus.
Make Your Travel Plans
- Attend your F-1 Student Visa Interview.
- After you have received your student visa, book your travel to Cal U. The nearest international airport is Pittsburgh International Airport(PIT).