The Vulcan President’s Circle Award and the Vulcan Exceptional Service Award will be presented each spring and fall to staff members who truly make a difference for Cal U.
Staff members play a critical role in University operations and campus life. They address student needs, support faculty, interact with parents and community members, and keep Cal U’s facilities, technology and services running smoothly.
Two prestigious new awards will recognize Cal U staff members for outstanding job performance and customer service.
“These awards arose from discussions of our campus-wide customer service initiative and are based on survey feedback from staff members,” says Eric Guiser, director of Human Resources.
“Every day, staff members provide services that are essential to our mission. And through their interactions with students, families, community members and colleagues, they set the tone for our University.
“These awards demonstrate Cal U’s commitment to excellence in everything we do.”
All students, faculty and staff are invited to nominate an exceptional staff member or manager to receive one of these awards:
- The Vulcan President’s Circle Award for outstanding job performance. The recipient will have demonstrated one or more
of these traits:
- Collaboration and cooperation.
- Passion for and commitment to the University.
- Innovation that improves the quality of services or provides cost savings.
- The Vulcan Exceptional Service Award for superior customer service to students, parents, fellow employees and/or community
members. The recipient will have shown exceptional:
- Responsiveness to customer needs.
- Willingness to remove barriers and improve customer satisfaction.
- Perseverance in identifying solutions to reach a positive outcome.
- Caring and support for customers and/or colleagues.
- Friendliness, patience, approachability and understanding.
How to make a nomination
Links to nomination forms and a complete overview of each award’s criteria can be found under “Staff Awards” on the Faculty/Staff and Current Students resource pages at calu.edu. With the exception of Cabinet members, all staff and managers are eligible to receive the awards.
Guiser and a committee representing management and various non-faculty bargaining units will use a rubric to identify award recipients anonymously. One President’s Circle and one Exceptional Service award will be presented each fall and spring semester, for a total of four awards per academic year.
Award recipients will be announced at faculty/staff convocations. In addition to a plaque and specially branded apparel, each honoree may select three items from a menu of options such as a designated parking space for a semester, a three-month pass to Herron Recreation and Fitness Center, event tickets and more.
As University President Geraldine Jones noted in her spring convocation address, “This recognition of staff members is long overdue. I am pleased that we will be honoring our staff, just as we do our distinguished faculty.”