Site Search

Current Announcements

FROM: Heidi Williams - Registrar RE: Spring 2013 Early Registration Procedure
10/14/2012 9:14:23 AM
To: Students, Faculty, Staff




The Spring 2013 schedule is available for viewing under the VIP menu.  The Summer 2013 schedule will be available in the near future. Please review the information below, prior to registering.


1.           Log onto VIP (Vulcan Information Portal) by clicking the VIP link from the Cal U Homepage – . This is located on the left hand side of the web page. 

2.           Your Username is the first part of your email address (without the “”). Your password is the same password you use for accessing email. If you have not obtained your email address, go to the homepage and click on  “Quick Links” and select “Get Campus Username and Password” -

3.           The first page of the VIP is the Cal U tab.  This contains general information for the University population.

4.           Click on the “Academic Info” tab to register and view information personalized to you.

5.           Check your registration status by clicking on “Registration Status” located in the Registration Tools Channel.  Your status will show such information as your class level, your academic standing, and if any holds have been placed on your registration.  If a hold is present, you will need to contact the office that placed the hold on your registration to make arrangements to clear it.  You may obtain more information regarding your hold by clicking on the “View Holds” link located at the bottom of the page. 

6.           Under the Registration Tools channel –click on “Look Up Classes” to see the available courses with meeting times, location, prerequisites and instructor. Write down the CRN(s) of the class(es) you would like to register for.

7.           Return to the Academic Info Tab to register for the courses you have chosen.  (Link is in the top left hand corner.)

8.           Click on “Add or Drop Classes”

9.           Enter the CRN of the course(s) you would like to register for and click “Submit”

10.       There is a message telling you that by clicking submit you have registered for a course(s) which includes the associated bill.  You are responsible for this bill unless you drop the courses prior to the beginning of the term.

11.       Certain courses have been identified by the department as requiring a prerequisite.  If you have not met the necessary prerequisite, you will not be allowed to register for the class without the permission of the department. 

12.       If you need permitted into a course for any reason other than capacity, make sure you write down why you are restricted from the course. This will allow the department to handle your request quickly. Permits will not be accepted as an override of the course capacity. Students who need into a course that is full are required to submit a Needs List Request.


Registration Schedule

·        Registration begins at 7:00 am for each new class rank on the assigned registration day. 

·        Registration priorities will be enforced.  The system will not accept your registration prior to your assigned day.  The registration dates are as follows:

Monday, Nov 12

Seniors (90 earned credits and above), Associate Degree (33-64 earned credits) and Graduate Students

Tuesday, Nov 13  

Juniors (60-89 earned credits) and Associate Degree (1-32 earned credits)



Thursday,  Nov 15

Sophomores (30-59 earned credits) and Liberal Studies Associate Degree students (major code 5001)

Friday,  Nov 16

Freshmen (1-29 earned credits)


·        The date listed above is the EARLIEST day you may register.  You may register anytime after this date through February 2, 2013 for full 15-week classes. For classes that are on the schedule that begin later in the semester, you may add these until the first day of the class start date using an “Add Slip”.  

·        Blocked Classes: Certain lower division General Education classes will be blocked to juniors and seniors.  If one of these courses is required for your degree, complete the electronic request form for blocked classes

NOTE:  Seniors must submit request by Nov 12th and Juniors by Nov 13th.  All requests will be reviewed to determine the need for the requested course.  Some alternatives to ENG 102 have been added.  If you are not able to register for a section of ENG 102 please contact your Academic Advisor.

·        ENG 102: Additional sections of ENG 102 have been added to the Spring 2013 schedule. Enrolling in ENG 102 will be as follows:

o   Registration for ENG 102 would NOT be open during priority registration week because registration would not be limited to just seniors.

o   Registration for ENG 102 will be open for seniors on Monday, November 12th.

o   Registration for ENG 102 will close at midnight on Monday, November 12th.

o   Beginning on Tuesday November 13th, students who need ENG 102 would submit a Needs List Request form (See below for Needs List Instructions). Enrollment into ENG 102 would be prioritized as follows:

§  Spring 2013 graduates

§  Summer 2013 graduates

§  Fall 2013 graduates

§  Other

·        Need List:  Some courses that a student may need for graduation in Spring 2013, or to fulfill a pre-requisite requirement, or to make progress in their major, may become closed.  If you fall under one of these categories, please complete the electronic Needs List Request form found at: link is also attached to the course sections on the course schedule noted as “For information on requesting a closed class, click here”.  All requests will be reviewed to determine the need for the requested course.

o   Needs List Requests received by November 21st. will be processed by December 5th.

o   Additional requests received after November 21st will be processed by January 7th.

o   Admittance into a closed course after January 7th will require an enrollment permit issued by the department.

·        Add/Drop and Rolling Registration will begin on Monday November 19th .  You must talk with your advisor before you drop or add courses or register for the next semester. 


Trouble shooting:

·        If you receive a time ticket error please contact Academic Records (4435) for Undergraduate students and Graduate School (4188) for Graduate Students


If you experience any problems, please contact the offices below during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). 

Academic Records         

Student data (Undergraduate)

(724) 938-4435

Graduate School

Student data (Graduate)

(724) 938-4188

Bursar’s Office


(724) 938-4431

Financial Aid Office

Financial Aid

(724) 938-4415

Degree Audit

Graduation Requirements

(724) 938-4407

Utech Services

Logging into system

Password problems

(724) 938-5911

Academic Scheduling Center (Noss 210)

Closed Classes – Scheduling Assistance




·        A formal billing statement and schedule for the Spring semester will be mailed by December  3rd, 2012,  with a due date of December 31st, 2012.  As soon as billing information is available a channel will be added to VIP from which you will be able to view your charges and make your payment online. Student Account Statements will be mailed to your Billing address if on file.  If not, statements will be mailed to your Permanent address.  You will be able to update your Billing address on VIP.

·        If you register for Spring classes but are unable to attend, you must cancel your registration by contacting the Office of Academic Records (undergraduate) or the School of Graduate Studies (graduate) on or before January 28 , 2012.  If you do not cancel  your schedule by February 2nd , 2013 you will be responsible for the payment of all tuition and fees.  ALL drops from class(es) must be completed by February 2nd, 2013  for a full refund of any tuition and fees paid. You cannot drop all of your courses via VIP, you must contact either Academic Records or Graduate Studies to drop all of your classes, via phone, fax, or email. 

·        After February 2nd, tuition refunds will be prorated for COMPLETE WITHDRAWALS ONLY, up to February 28th, 2013 .  Information about withdrawals from sub-term (shorter sessions) is available in the Bursar’s Office or the Office of Web-Based Programs.