Current AnnouncementsFROM: Jon Kallis RE: Blackboard Collaborate now integrated with D2L
Sent: 1/9/2013 1:57:09 PM
To: Faculty, Staff
Wimba Live Classroom has been replaced with Blackboard Collaborate (Elluminate) inside D2L. Collaborate is fully integrated with D2L's "Online Rooms" tool. Collaborate will also serve as the "chat" function for D2L.
To add/use Blackboard Collaborate to your course shell:
- First, click on the Communication drop down menu in your course and select Online Rooms from the list.
- Click the "New Room" button.
- Here you will see the screen to set up your room. First we will name our new room. Keep in mind that in the past all room names were required to be unique so it is a good idea to continue this practice. One way is to name the room with the course name in the title. For example: DEV 100 01 Class Introductions Spring 2013.
- Next you will see the Room Visibility options. By default the room visibility is restricted. This means that the only people that can access the room are users you add.
The other option is Public Room. This is the most often used option and means that anyone in the course (and anyone with the link) can access the room. This is best for general lectures or office hours.
- Availability options are next and are set to make the room only available during a specified date range. These options are required so that the room is not available indefinitely.
- Next you will see some advanced options. By default these options are not selected. It is suggested to leave these settings as they are. The archive mode though can be changed to automatic if you plan on archiving the presentation.
- At the bottom you will see the Add Attendees button. Use this to add students from your Classlist.
- Once you have finished click the "Save" button to save your settings.
Some notes to keep in mind when using online rooms:
- If a student wishes to access the room they would navigate to the online rooms screen under the Communication drop down menu. Here they would see a list of available rooms and join appropriately.
- Popup blockers may prevent online rooms from opening.