Site Search

Financial Aid Information for Nursing Students

CCAC Nursing and Financial Aid                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Through a collaborative relationship between CCAC and Cal U, students attend classes on the Cal U campus. Faculty from CCAC offer the nursing courses at Cal U, while Cal U faculty offer the non-nursing courses. This leads to the Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN). A graduate of this program is eligible to take the licensure examination to become a Registered Nurse. The ADN graduate may then apply California University of Pennsylvania RN-BSN program in order to complete additional coursework leading to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).

Students taking Prerequisite Coursework at CAL U for the ADN

(Cal U will process Financial Aid)

1.  Students may start out as a Cal U student where CAL U will process their Financial Aid.  All students interested in Financial Aid must complete a FAFSA. When you complete the FAFSA you should list both California University of PA (003316) and CCAC South (E00565) to receive your results.

2.  Students will need to meet with a Nursing Advisor as soon as possible.  To schedule an appointment with a Nursing Advisor please call 724-938-1622.  Students will also need to secure a Nursing Admission packet and apply to Community College of Allegheny County. For more information please see: Department of Nursing      

Students accepted into the CCAC ADN Program

(CCAC processes Financial Aid)

Once students are accepted into the CCAC (ADN) Program, CCAC will process their Financial Aid.  Please make sure CCAC is listed on your FAFSA.  Your Financial Aid at Cal U will be removed so that CCAC can process your Financial Aid.   For more information please see: CCAC Financial Aid Website

Important Information for Students Accepted into the CCAC Associate Degree Nursing (ADN)

Once accepted into the ADN program, all financial aid will be processed and disbursed through CCAC South, even if the student has coursework and housing at CAL U.  Please make sure CCAC South (E00565)   is listed on your FAFSA.

Students should be aware that their Financial Aid may decrease once they are accepted into the CCAC Program.  The CCAC Associate Degree in Nursing is a two year program so that has an effect on Stafford Loan eligibility.  If the student was receiving Junior or Senior Stafford loan amounts their loan eligibility will decrease once they are accepted into the Nursing Program.  

For example: Students that are in their junior year at CALU would have lower Stafford loan limits because the Nursing 101 is a level 1 program.   The maximum Subsidized Stafford Loan amount a level 1 program student can receive is $3500.  If they received a $2750 Stafford Loan during the Fall they would only be eligible for a $750 Subsidized Stafford Loan during the Spring. 

If a student receives a PHEAA State Grant at Cal U the award will decrease once CCAC processes the Financial Aid.  Because of the cost difference and the fact that CCAC does not offer housing, The PHEAA state grant award would be at a lesser amount.  While CCAC can notify PHEAA of additional tuition costs, PHEAA will not allow CCAC to add housing since they are a commuter school.

If you have questions about your Financial Aid, you should contact CCAC South at 412-469-6241.

CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy

Please be aware of CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy.  Financial Aid is applied to student’s accounts on the 30th calendar day of the semester. If the 30th calendar day falls on a weekend, aid will be applied to the account on the previous business day.  If a credit balance refund is due the student, the refund is made to the student within 14 days after the financial aid is posted.  For more information please see CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy

CAL U Bursars Office

(Important Billing Information)

Any CCAC nursing student registered in California University of PA classes, living in the Cal U residence halls, or enrolled in a commuter meal plan, will need to make payment directly to Cal U for these charges. Students must purchase their books and parking permit from their personal funds.  Cal U does not include any CCAC charges on the Cal U bill just as CCAC does not include any Cal U charges on their CCAC bill.  Students are responsible for paying the charges to each of the schools.  Financial Aid Awards are refunded to the student and NOT paid directly to the other school. 

In order to assist the CCAC students in avoiding the late payment fee,  CCAC/CALU Nursing students who expect to receive a financial aid refund from CCAC, need to send Cal U a copy of their CCAC bill listing the anticipated financial aid.  These qualified students will be allowed an extended due date to pay their Cal U charges in full without penalty.  Otherwise, CCAC nursing students must pay according to the Cal U payment options available to all Cal U students.

California University of PA sends paper bills at the beginning of each term, but a student’s tuition account information is available on line 24/7 through the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP). If you have questions about paying your Cal U bill please contact the Bursar’s Office.  You may contact the Cal U Bursar’s Office at or (724-938-4431) Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Tues 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

If you have questions about CCAC billing or charges please see CCAC Billing Information.

California University of PA’s Nursing RN-BSN Program

(Cal U processes Financial Aid)

California University’s Department of Nursing offers an upper-division program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

This program is intended for registered nurses who already completed a diploma or associate degree in Nursing.  Cal U will process Financial Aid for students enrolled in the RN-BSN program.

RN-BSN Application Process

1.  Students should first contact the Department of Nursing, 724-938-5739. 

2.  Click here for Admission Requirements

3.  Students interested in the RN-BSN, apply now

4.  Students who wish to receive Financial Aid will need to complete a FAFSA  and list Cal U’s school code (003316).

5.  If you have Billing questions you may contact the Cal u Bursar’s Department at or (724-938-4431) Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Tues 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.