Site Search

Image of students gathered togetherImage of students gathered together

How To Apply

Congratulations! If you're ready to apply to Cal U, you're about to embark on an incredible journey. We welcome all students who wish to pursue a college degree. Your application will be individually evaluated, and you will be recommended for admission based on your potential for success at Cal U. Admission is decided on a rolling basis. You should receive notice approximately two weeks after we receive your application. Once you receive your admissions letter, we ask that you submit a tuition deposit to secure your place.

Admission Requirements For All U.S. Applicants

If you are an incoming freshman who wants to be considered for admission to Cal U as a degree-seeking student, please submit the following:

  • Your completed application
  • $25 application fee
  • Official high school transcript which includes class rank, and GED certificate and scores if applicable
  • SAT or American College Test (ACT) scores (This requirement may be waived for applicants who have been out of high school for at least two years, or have an Associate, RN, or Baccalaureate degree.)

Please submit all correspondence and official documentation to:

California University of Pennsylvania
C/O Undergraduate Admissions - Box 94
250 University Avenue
California, Pa 15419

Additional Requirements for Specific Applicants

Transfer Students

So you want to transfer to Cal U? You're not alone! Approximately 40% of our undergraduates are transfer students. They've enrolled here for a variety of reasons - affordability, location, small class sizes, or to continue study beyond the introductory or associate level.

If you're currently a student in good standing at one of the 14 colleges or universities in the Pennsylvania System of Higher Education, one of the 14 Pennsylvania community colleges, or other PA Trac-participating institutions, you will benefit from Cal U's affiliation with PA Trac. Through this statewide organization, schools agree to maximize the number of credits that transfer between institutions in order to keep students on track for graduation. 

The transfer process is easy. Simply submit the admission requirements shown above, plus a copy of your official college transcript. If you have an Associate Degree, the requirement for submitting your high school transcript may be waived, and if you have been out of school for at least one semester, special consideration may be given.

As a transfer student, we realize that your academic needs are much different than those of incoming freshmen. The Office of Articulation and Transfer is here to assist you in every way possible, from directing you to available financial aid to helping you find convenient housing. Our goal is to support the University mission of building character and building careers by making your transition as seamless as possible. Click on the links below for more important information about transferring to Cal U.

What Happens After You Apply For Transfer?

Your application goes to the Admissions Office where it will be reviewed, along with your test scores and transcripts. Once you have been accepted for admission, our office will evaluate your credits to determine how many credits will transfer. Admission is granted on a rolling basis, and you should receive your admissions notification within a few weeks.

We know you are serious about continuing your education. Let us help you accomplish your goal. If you have questions, call us at 724-938-5939, or email

High School Early Admit

Certain high school students may be eligible for early admission to Cal U. To apply for early admission, you must have completed your sophomore year of high school and be following a college preparatory curriculum. Please submit the general application requirements shown above, plus the following:

Students seeking admission to the HSEA program must:

  • Have completed their sophomore year of high school and be enrolled in a college preparatory curriculum
  • Have an overall grade-point  average of 3.0 or higher
  • Complete the online or paper application
  • Pay the one-time $25 application fee
  • Provide your official high school transcript
  • Complete the High School Early Admit Authorization form and indicate that you have taken a standardized test. This form needs to be submitted each term that you are enrolled in courses.

If you wish to apply for admission to Cal U at the completion of your high school program, a second application must be submitted with your final high school transcript. A second application fee is not required. At this time you will be accepted into a degree program.

For more information, visit the High School Early Admissions Program webpage.


Cal U welcomes veterans of the United States Armed Forces, as well as active reservists and members of the National Guard. As a proud member of Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC), we believe your dedication and service make you a valuable asset to our University community. If you have not attended an institution of higher learning since your honorable discharge - or if you are an incoming freshmen who is an active member of the military - submit the general application requirements shown above, plus your official military transcripts

Getting Credit For Military Training

If you are a veteran who has been honorably discharged, you may be awarded credit for your military training and military schools. Credits are awarded primarily in elective categories. The University's Articulation and Transfer Evaluation will assist you in maximizing your military education benefits. To determine your eligibility for credit, submit a copy of your DD 214 to Cal U's Articulation and Transfer Evaluation Office in room 218 in Dixon Hall.

Army veterans, including members of the Regular Army, Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve who entered the service after October 1, 1981 should submit an A.A.R.T.S. transcript. For more information, visit  Please submit your official transcripts to Cal U's Office of Articulation and Transfer Evaluation at:

California University of Pennsylvania
C/O Articulation and Transfer Evaluation - Box 37
250 University Avenue
California, Pa 15419

Eligible service members for the Sailors/Marine/ACE Registry Transcript (SMART) include active duty and reserve Sailors and Marines and Navy veterans who separated or retired after January 1975, and Marines who separated or retired after June  1999. You may order your SMART transcripts from

Service members who started an Air Force course after April 1972 can obtain a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript at

Official transcripts from the Coast Guard Institute can be obtained at

Evaluations will be based on the latest American Council of Education Military Guides. After transcripts are evaluated and accepted, they will be applied to your Cal U transcript.

For more information please contact Cal U's Office of Articulation and Transfer Evaluation at (724)938-5939

International Applicants

Join the international student community at California University of Pennsylvania. Our campus offers a diverse and welcoming environment, where approximately 80 students from 24 different countries are currently pursuing their dreams of higher education. Admission requirements for undergraduate international students are as follows:

  • Your completed international student application
  • $35 application fee
  • Official transcript submitted by your high school
  • TOFEL or SAT test results, showing a minimum of 550 on the TOFEL or 213 computer-based score. Test results must be submitted by the testing agency.
  • Affidavit of Financial Support, included in the application form, verifying the availability of $30,609 USD for your first year of study.
  • At least two letters of recommendation.

Once you have been accepted at Cal U, you will be sent an I-20 form. You must use your I-20 and your acceptance letter to apply to U.S. Immigration for an F-1 Student Visa.

International students are invited to participate in all activities on campus. The International Club is a great place to start. Organized to promote an exchange of cultural and global perspectives, the International Club welcomes both international and American students. Meetings are held weekly. Activities are determined by the members, and serve to enhance the student's experience in the United States.

The International Club and other services for international students are centered in the International Students Office, Room G-32, Carter Hall. Office hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. For more information, contact John Watkins, International Student Advisor at, or call 724.938.1599.

Visiting Students

Would you like to enroll at Cal U and transfer credits to the college or university where you are pursuing your degree? Perhaps you're home for the summer and want to pick up a few credits. Or you're interning at a job that's nearby - but you still have time for a class or two.

Admission will be granted for the approved semester only.

For more information, please see the Visiting students Web page.

Non-Degree Students

It's never too early - or late - to pursue an education. At California University of Pennsylvania, non-degree students are invited to enroll in classes that interest them through our Office of Continuing Education.

Tuition and fees are the same as those for degree students.

You may complete up to 30 credits in a non-degree seeking status. After you have reached 30 credits, you must either declare a major or indicate in writing that you do not plan to pursue a degree at California University of Pennsylvania.

For more information, please contact the Office of Continuing Education at 724.938.5840.

Ways to Apply

Apply Online

Pay Application Fee

Download an Application

Download an International Student Application

Cal U also accepts the Common Application.

Get Adobe Reader

Adobe Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Click on the image below for free download.

Get Adobe Reader. Clicking on this image will take you to another web site where you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free. The site will open in a new window.