Special Aid Groups

Site Search

Special Aid Groups

Cal U welcomes students from the Community College of Allegheny County and the Washington Hospital School of Radiology who wish to pursue degrees. In addition, active-duty military personnel, veterans of the military and international students often find programs at Cal U to suit their needs. Some of these designations impact the financial aid process, and that information is outlined below.

In addition, students using consortium agreements to take courses at a host institution should read the information in that section below.

Financial Aid for Special Aid Groups

CCAC Nursing and Financial Aid

Through a collaborative relationship between the Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC) and Cal U, students attend classes on the Cal U campus. Faculty from CCAC offer the nursing courses at Cal U, while Cal U faculty offer the non-nursing courses. This leads to the Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)

A graduate of this program is eligible to take the licensure examination to become a registered nurse. The ADN graduate may then apply California University of Pennsylvania RN-BSN program in order to complete additional coursework leading to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).

Students taking Prerequisite Coursework at Cal U for the ADN
(Cal U processes Financial Aid)

1.  Students may start out as a Cal U student where Cal U will process their financial aid. All students interested in financial aid must complete a FAFSA. When you complete the FAFSA you should list both Cal U (003316) and CCAC South (E00565) to receive your results.

2.  Students will need to meet with a nursing adviser as soon as possible.  To schedule an appointment, call 724-938-1622. Students will also need to secure a nursing admissions packet and apply to Community College of Allegheny County. For more information please see: Department of Nursing.

Students accepted into the CCAC ADN Program
(CCAC processes Financial Aid)

Once students are accepted into the CCAC (ADN) program, CCAC will process their financial aid. Please make sure CCAC is listed on your FAFSA. Your financial aid at Cal U will be removed so that CCAC can process your financial aid. For more information, visit the CCAC financial aid website [link to https://www.ccac.edu/financial-aid/].

Important Information for Students Accepted into the CCAC Associate Degree Nursing (ADN)

Once accepted into the ADN program, all financial aid will be processed and disbursed through CCAC South, even if the student has coursework and housing at Cal U. Please make sure CCAC South (E00565) is listed on your FAFSA.

Students should be aware that their financial aid may decrease once they are accepted into the CCAC program.  The CCAC Associate Degree in Nursing is a two-year program so that has an effect on Stafford Loan eligibility. If the student was receiving Junior or Senior Stafford loan amounts, their loan eligibility will decrease once they are accepted into the nursing program.  

For example, students who are in their junior year at Cal U would have lower Stafford Loan limits because the Nursing 101 is a level 1 program. The maximum Subsidized Stafford Loan amount a level 1 program student can receive is $3,500.  If a student receives a $2,750 Stafford Loan during the fall he/she would only be eligible for a $750 Subsidized Stafford Loan during the spring. 

If a student receives a PHEAA State Grant at Cal U the award will decrease once CCAC processes the financial aid. Because of the cost difference and the fact that CCAC does not offer housing, the PHEAA state grant award would be at a lesser amount. While CCAC can notify PHEAA of additional tuition costs, PHEAA will not allow CCAC to add housing since they are a commuter school.

If you have questions about your financial aid, contact CCAC South.

CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy

Please be aware of CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy. Financial aid is applied to a student’s accounts on the 30th calendar day of the semester. If the 30th calendar day falls on a weekend, aid will be applied to the account on the previous business day. If a credit balance refund is due the student, the refund is made to the student within 14 days after the financial aid is posted. For more information please see CCAC’s Financial Aid Refund Policy

CAL U Bursar’s Office
(Important Billing Information)

Any CCAC nursing student registered in California University of Pennsylvania classes, living in the Cal U residence halls, or enrolled in a commuter meal plan, will need to make payment directly to Cal U for these charges. Students must purchase their books and parking permit from their personal funds. Cal U does not include any CCAC charges on the Cal U bill, just as CCAC does not include any Cal U charges on their CCAC bill. Students are responsible for paying the charges to each of the schools. Financial aid awards are refunded to the student and not paid directly to the other school. 

In order to assist the CCAC students in avoiding the late payment fee, CCAC/Cal U nursing students who expect to receive a financial aid refund from CCAC need to send Cal U a copy of their CCAC bill listing the anticipated financial aid. These qualified students will be allowed an extended due date to pay their Cal U charges in full without penalty. Otherwise, CCAC nursing students must pay according to the Cal U payment options available to all Cal U students.

California University of Pennsylvania sends paper bills at the beginning of each term, but a student’s tuition account information is available online through the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP). If you have questions about paying your Cal U bill please contact the Bursar’s Office [link to: new Contact the Bursar page]

If you have questions about CCAC billing or charges please see CCAC Billing Information

California University of PA’s Nursing RN-BSN Program
(Cal U processes Financial Aid)

California University’s Department of Nursing offers an upper-division program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

This program is intended for registered nurses who already completed a diploma or Associate Degree in Nursing.  Cal U will process financial aid for students enrolled in the RN-BSN program.

RN-BSN Application Process

1.  Students should first contact the Department of Nursing 

2.  Click here for Admission Requirements 

3.  Students interested in the RN-BSN, apply now

4.  Students who wish to receive financial aid will need to complete a FAFSA and list Cal U’s school code (003316).

5.  If you have billing questions you may contact the Cal U Student Accounts Office 

Washington Hospital School of Radiology

California University of Pennsylvania has entered into a cooperative program with the Washington Hospital School of Radiologic Technology to assist students wishing to pursue a degree in radiologic technology. Academic coursework will be completed at both Cal U and Washington Hospital. More than 50% of the courses will be completed at Cal U and the clinical component will be completed exclusively at Washington Hospital.  All financial aid for the program will be handled by California University of Pennsylvania and will require students to complete a consortium agreement between the two schools before aid can be disbursed. If you want more information regarding admission requirements and application procedures and to obtain a consortium agreement for this program, please visit the Washington Hospital School of Radiologic Technology or e-mail lfinnegan@whs.org.

Financial Aid Information for International Students

There are a limited number of International Student Waivers. We encourage you to contact your admissions counselor for more information.

International students can also apply for private alternative loans with a U.S. or permanent resident creditworthy co-signer.

Military Students and Financial Aid

We encourage all active-duty military and veterans who are pursuing a degree at Cal U to take advantage of the benefits that may be available to you. Please contact our Office of Veterans Affairs for more information.

Students using military benefits such as Federal Tuition Assistance or Veterans Affairs Education Benefits (Chapter Benefits) are able to use federal financial aid in conjunction with their benefits to fund their costs if needed.  Please understand that tuition assistance is counted as a financial aid resource, whereas VA Education Benefits (Chapter Benefits) are not. 

This means that we may need to reduce previously awarded and/or disbursed student loans if we are notified that you are awarded tuition assistance after you have been awarded financial aid. 

Typically the Financial Aid Office is not notified of your tuition assistance until after a semester has begun. In most cases you will have already been awarded financial aid up to your maximum cost of attendance. In some cases it is already disbursed and you may receive a refund. If we receive notification of Federal Tuition Assistance after this has happened, we are required to send back loan money to the lenders, which may result in you owing back all or a portion of the refund you received. 

If you know you are going to receive Federal Tuition Assistance prior to the start of the semester, or if you have questions about how your federal financial aid, VA Education Benefits (Chapter Benefits) and Federal Tuition Assistance work together, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Consortium Agreements

During the course of your academic career, you may want to take a course(s) at another institution and transfer the course(s) back to your degree program. This can be accomplished through a consortium agreement, and you may be eligible to receive financial aid.

This consortium agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. It also certifies only one of the two institutions can administer financial aid.

This consortium agreement refers to the two colleges/universities as the "Home Institution" and the "Host Institution:"

The Home Institution is the school where the student is fully admitted and from which he/she will earn a degree. The Home Institution pays out the financial aid to the student and will not pay any funds directly to the Host Institution.

The Host Institution is where the student temporarily takes courses, whose credits will be transferred back to his/her “Home Institution.” The student is responsible to pay for the classes at the Host Institution.

If you are interested in a consortium agreement, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Internships & Financial Aid

As long as you earn academic credit while participating in an internship, you may be eligible for financial aid. For all financial aid applicants including those that participate in an internship, you must be registered for a minimum of part time coursework each term. Undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 6 undergraduate credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 5 graduate credits.

If your internship is 3 credits and you have no plans of registering for additional coursework that term, you are not eligible for financial aid. It is also important to note that while you are not registered for a minimum of part time, your loan deferment clock begins and you can potentially run into a situation where you have to make arrangements with your loan servicer to start paying back your loans.

If you plan to register for your internship during the Summer or Winter terms, please make sure to consult the financial aid applications steps and eligibility for these specific terms online at http://www.calu.edu/tuition-and-aid/financial-aid/apply-for-aid/summer-and-winter-college/index.htm.

Prior to deciding whether or not you should participate in an internship, it is always best to consult financial aid first. Please do contact us and we will be happy to assist!