DHSc in Health Science and Exercise Leadership
Cohorts begin each January
California University of Pennsylvania’s Doctor of Health Science (DHSc) degree in Health Science and Exercise Leadership addresses the education and workforce needs resulting from the continued growth in the aging population and the shift from treating disease to promoting health and wellness. The DHSc is a post-professional academic degree designed for individuals working in clinical, educational, professional, managerial, and research roles within healthcare-related fields who wish to pursue an advanced professional degree that will provide opportunities for career enhancement or career advancement.
- The program has a professional focus in applied evidence-based research and is an appropriate pathway for credentialed paramedical professionals in athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, exercise science, exercise physiology, health and physical education, wellness and fitness, rehabilitation science, and other healthcare and allied health professions.
- Graduates are trained to become post-professional leaders as advanced clinical practitioners; educators in health, exercise, and wellness; administrators and managers of health-related enterprises; or other advanced professional or technical positions in healthcare.
- This professional degree is designed to enhance and advance the field of health promotion and wellness via the application, creation, and dissemination of evidence-based practical research in an effort to enhance health and well-being to meet growing health, wellness and societal needs.
According to the BLS’ Occupational Outlook Handbook (2012), many occupations associated with exercise science and related programs are projected to grow at average or above-average rates.The Job Outlook and Job Change show a projected growth in occupations between 2012 to 2022 presented as a percentage of growth and numeric change in employment; reflecting the continuing growth trend in the healthcare sector during the 10-year period. In total, this group will produce more than 1.1 million new jobs by 2022!
The Doctor of Health Science degree will provide formal coursework of advanced study.
Graduates will be trained and capable of acquiring independent and high-level roles in a variety of disciplines including academia, clinical, and leadership; all of which are woven into the DHSc curriculum design and sequence. Health professionals must be skilled to seek, retrieve, apply and disseminate evidence to serve the public in health, wellness, and exercise.
It is no longer commonplace to promote the best skilled educator or clinician to be the leader of a division, group, or department. The program will guide motivated exercise and wellness professionals to become leaders in areas of health science, adult learning, and evidence-based practice.
Asynchronous online classes to meet the needs of busy students and professionals.
- Advanced Standing: Graduates of the California University Master of Science in Exercise Science and Health Promotions program will be given advanced placement and will not need to retake the PRF courses 720, 765, & 770. This would result in a balance of 41 credits to earn the DHSc degree; including 36 didactic course work credits and 5 dissertation credits.
- Complete your terminal degree in as little as 3 years attending full-time!
For more information, please contact Global Online:
- Email: DHSc@calu.edu
- Phone: 1.866.595.6348