More than 100,000 employees are now eligible to receive a 20% tuition discount when they enroll at Cal U.
Pittsburgh-based UPMC, the region’s largest employer, is joining two regional hospitals, a behavioral healthcare provider and a fitness equipment manufacturer as the initial corporate partners in the Cal U Educational Alliance.
Through the Educational Alliance, verified employees of UPMC, St. Clair Health, Washington Health System, Wesley Family Services and Technogym will receive a 20% tuition discount when they attend California University of Pennsylvania.
They also will receive personal attention from Cal U staff, from application through graduation.
“Cal U is committed to making higher education more attainable and affordable for our region’s workforce, including the 100,000 employees of our corporate Educational Alliance partners,” said Robert Thorn, interim president at California University.
“Our region’s unique character has been shaped by individuals who set their sights high and never stop learning. Cal U understand the needs of adult learners, especially those who are busy, working professionals. We look forward to helping employees of our Educational Alliance partners advance their careers.”
Membership in the Cal U Educational Alliance is open to corporations, hospitals, nonprofit organizations and other entities seeking to “upskill” their workforce and provide educational benefits at a reduced cost to their workers.
“WHS is dedicated to providing our staff with ongoing educational opportunities,” said Barb McCullough, vice president of Human Resources for Washington Health System. “This partnership and tuition discount is just one of the many educational benefits we offer to our staff.”
Employees of partner organizations can choose from a variety of career-focused certificates and nearly 200 associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. Many programs are delivered 100% online – a convenient option for those looking to advance their education while balancing school, work and personal responsibilities.
“We are committed to empowering our employees through workforce development initiatives like Cal U Educational Alliance,” said Heather Duncan, vice president of Transition-Age Services, Adult Services and Recruitment, Wesley Family Services.
“As an organization, we prioritize innovation and believe it’s important for our employees to have access to educational programs that enable them to pursue a variety of career paths. Over the years, we have been proud to employ many Cal U graduates, and we hope that current employees will take advantage of this unique opportunity.”
The 20% tuition discount applies whether an Educational Alliance participant attends on-campus classes or studies online. Among Cal U’s offerings are a fully online RN-to-BSN program for registered nurses who are seeking a bachelor’s degree; a master’s degree in nursing administration and leadership; degrees in exercise science; and MBA programs in nursing administration or healthcare management.
“The Educational Alliance provides more pathways to more academic programs for working adults who need flexibility and personalized support,” said T. David Garcia, vice president for enrollment management at Cal U.
Dual degree and certificate programs also are available. For a complete list, visit www.calu.edu/academics.
Cal U proudly welcomes these inaugural Educational Alliance partners:
- UPMC, a world-renowned healthcare provider and insurer, is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania, with more than 92,000 employees. UPMC operates 40 academic, community and specialty hospitals and 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, as well as rehabilitation, retirement and long-term care facilities.
- Clair Health, the largest employer in Pittsburgh’s South Hills, is a nationally recognized, integrated health system with more than 2,500 employees and 600 physicians serving residents of southwestern Pennsylvania. In 2016, it became a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network.
- Washington Health System employs more than 2,000 highly trained medical professionals at Washington Hospital – an academic teaching hospital – and more than 40 off-site locations in Washington, Greene and surrounding counties.
- Wesley Family Services’ nearly 1,000 employees provide behavioral healthcare and therapeutic support services that address the needs of children, adults and families at sites in Allegheny, Washington and Westmoreland counties.
- Technogym is an international manufacturer of fitness equipment with more than 2,300 employees across 14 branches in America, Asia, Australia, Europe and the Middle East.