Current AnnouncementsFROM: Options@Cal U RE: Math and Business Majors...
Sent: 10/25/2013 8:51:32 AM
To: Students, Faculty, Staff
Hey Math and Business Majors, here’s some numbers to crunch:
· 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes*
· About 25 percent of college students report academic consequences of their drinking including missing class, falling behind, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall*
· More than 150,000 students develop an alcohol-related health problem and between 1.2 and 1.5 percent of students indicate that they tried to commit suicide within the past year due to drinking or drug use*
(*Information obtained from: http://collegedrinkingprevention.gov/StatsSummaries/snapshot.aspx]
· 50.7 percent of college students reported using marijuana at least once during their lifetime**
· 33.7 percent of college students reported marijuana use in the past year**
· 19.3 percent reported marijuana use in the past month**
(**Information obtained from: http://www.campushealthandsafety.org/drugs/street-drugs/marijuana/)
Alcohol and drug use/abuse is prevalent on campus. Would you like to work to help lower those statistics? You could educate your peers, inspire change, and promote transformation while working in alcohol and drug prevention.
Options @ Cal U is looking for Peer Educators!
If you consider yourself a role model, compassionate, good listener, reliable, and are looking to make a difference in the lives of others, then you may be interested in working with Options @ Cal U.
There are some positions also working with youth in the area.
For more information, contact Donna George at George@calu.edu