Entry Level Portfolio Information for RN-BSN Students
Welcome to PennWest California. The Department of Nursing welcomes you as you pursue your RN-BSN degree.
This information provides you with instructions on the Entry-Level Portfolio (ELP) requirements. Successful completion of the ELP results in earning General Education credits that are placed on your transcript!
For the ELP written component, the students will describe how their knowledge of the discipline of nursing based on their clinical experiences and previous learning meet the nine entry-level learning objectives. This consists of writing one-two paragraphs for each of the nine objectives. There is no literature research component involved in the portfolio since it is based on the student's RN or student's nursing experiences only. These nine entry-level objectives will be discussed further during the online orientation.
In general, the written portion should take approximately 2 hours for you to write your experiences related to the nine entry-level objectives and approximately 1 hour to edit your paper. You will also need to compile additional documents to submit to the online drop box.
In order to prepare the ELP, students will enter the online RN-BSN Orientation Center prior to the start of classes. Students are "enrolled" into the orientation immediately following their official acceptance into the RN-BSN program for an upcoming term. Please read the online information as soon as possible to allow time for you to complete your own ELP.
Your payment and complete ELP are due no later than the first day of classes and you are encouraged to submit these items prior to this date.
During the term that you begin the program, faculty advisors will evaluate the written component of the ELP and award General education credits.
In order to prepare the ELP, students will participate in an online RN-BSN & ELP Orientation prior to the start of classes. Students are "enrolled" into the orientation immediately following their official acceptance into the RN-BSN program for an upcoming term. Please complete the online orientationas soon as possible to allow time for you to complete your own ELP.
The online RN-BSN & ELP Orientation is offered through Desire2Learn, the same platform that is used as a supplement for your nursing courses. You will access the orientation through a "Community Shell."
Prior to navigating the online RN-BSN & ELP Orientation, please review the attached instructions for course registration, login, ordering books for your upcoming courses, and your PennWest California email account. See instructions to login to access the online RN-BSN & ELP Orientation below.
Login to access the online RN-BSN & ELP Orientation:
- In order to access the ELP Orientation you must have been accepted into the RN-BSN program for the current term.
- Desire 2 Learn (D2L) is the learning management platform for PennWest California. To access Desire2Learn (D2L), you now must log in to the Vulcan Information Portal (VIP):
If you are having difficulties using any of the course tools, please contact Desire2Learn Technical Support at 1-877-325-7778 or Click Here to submit an issue via email. The D2L Help Desk is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The entire set of required documents for the Entry Level Portfolio are:
- Written paper addressing "Entry-Level Objectives" for the RN-BSN Program is due no later than the first day of class.
- Simple set of instructions:
- Write one paragraph about your career goals
- Write one to two paragraphs about each of the 9 Entry Level Objectives by describing a scenario that you experienced at work, or by describing what you do at work that addresses the Entry Level Objective. If you need a little more guidance, look at the Competencies under each Entry Level Objective. NOTE: you do not need to write separate paragraphs for each of the Competencies!
- Format the entire document in double space, Times Roman 12 point font.
- Place a title page on the entire document:
Entry Level Portfolio
Starting Term and Year (e.g. Spring, 20--)
- Save the document as "ELP- Your Name-Term Year."
- Upload it to your starting term admissions dropbox in the RN-BSN Orientation Shell for your site, e.g., PennWest California Main Campus, CCAC-South Campus or Online Students.
ELP Registration Form & Payments
Fee: All students are required to pay the $235 fee which covers the Orientation and processing of the Entry Level Portfolio documents, including the written portfolio evaluation by faculty and issuing of 12 general education credits.
Refund Policy: No refunds will be made. If a student changes his/her program start date to another semester, the funds will be applied to the ELP at that time.
IMPORTANT! Full payment is required in order to have faculty review your documents and award credits, and you will not be able to register for the next semester.
- For those who would like to make their payment electronically (Credit Card, Electronic Check ACH) , please click here.
- For those who wish to submit check or money order via mail, please make checks payable to PennWest California and send to the address listed below:
250 University Avenue, Box 105
California, PA 15419