The Bachelor of Science in Sport Management Studies develops knowledge and skills used by managers, marketers and other professionals within the sport industry.
Multimodal (attend classes on campus and/or via online learning)
|General Education Courses||40 or 41|
|Building a Sense of Community
UNI 100 First-Year Seminar
ENG 101 English Composition I
Any Public Speaking Course
|Mathematics and Quantitative Literacy
Any Mathematics and Quantitative Literacy Course
|Health and Wellness
Any Health and Wellness Course
Any Technological Literacy Course
Any Humanities Course
Any Fine Arts Course
Any Natural Sciences Course
|3 or 4|
Any Social Sciences Course
|General Education Options
|Required Major Courses||60|
|SPT 100 Introduction to Sport Mgt.||3|
|SPT 101 Practica in Sport Mgt.||1|
|SPT 300 Psychology of Sport||3|
|SPT 310 Sport Marketing||3|
|SPT 311 Sales Techniques in Sport Ind.||3|
|SPT 312 Practica in Sport Sales||1|
|SPT 315 Facility and Event Management||3|
|SPT 316 Practica in Fac. and Event Mgt.||1|
|SPT 320 Admin. Intercolleg. Ath. Pgm.||3|
|SPT 330 Globalization and Intl. Sport||3|
|SPT 400 Legal Aspects of Sport||3|
|SPT 405 Finance and Economics of Sport||3|
|SPT 410 Governance in Sport||3|
|SPT 425 Org. and Admin. of Sport||3|
|SPT 430 Sport Mgt. Senior Seminar||3|
|SPT 499 Internship in Sport Management||12|
|SOC 309 Sociology of Sport OR SPT 325 Sport and Society||3|
|HIS 348 History of American Sport OR SPT 340 Hist. Persp. Of American Spt.||3|
|CDC 305 Spt. Comm. and Media OR SPT 360 Sport Communications||3|
|Free Electives||19 to 21|
Additional requirements, not counted toward the General Education requirements, include:
- Special Experience Course (1 course required): SPT 430 Sport Management Senior Seminar
- Writing-Intensive Component Courses (2 courses required): SPT 310 Sport Marketing AND SPT 425 Organization and Administration of Sport
- Laboratory Course (1 course required): Any Laboratory Course
- Dev. Math and Eng. course do NOT count towards graduation.
- Once a student matriculates into the program, they may not transfer major courses into Cal U.
- Students must have a 2.0 GPA prior to enrolling in SPT 499.
- A business minor is strongly encouraged.
Admission to the sport management studies program is open to any student who has been admitted to Cal U. Once a student has requested to be a sport management studies major, a practicum class of observation/work in an approved sport management environment is required. The practicum class is a work experience in a major sport management setting (Heinz Field, PNC Park, community clubs and game day activities) to experience behind-the-scenes operations of sporting events. As a culminating activity in the program, students are required to complete a supervised 400-hour internship. The internship is the student's capstone experience. Students, in conjunction with the program faculty and Internship Office, will secure an internship site based on their unique educational needs and experience.
Candidates for admission to the sport management studies program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Sport Management Studies are required to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average; students earning a grade below a D in any sport management course(s) (SPT) must repeat the course(s).
- Follow the predetermined sequence of courses; failure to follow the sequence may result in delayed graduation.
- Complete all didactic coursework prior to the capstone internship experience, SPT 499.
- Enroll in the Internship Intent during the preregistration process the semester prior to completing the internship.