What else do you need to know?

Check back often for updates and new information.

How can I help to stop the spread of COVID-19? Is there an app for that?

Commonsense measures described by the CDC and state Health Department can help to mitigate risk of contracting and spreading the coronavirus. These measures include receiving the COVID-19 vaccine; avoiding close contact with others, especially indoors; wearing a face covering unless you are fully vaccinated; washing your hands frequently; cleaning and disinfecting surfaces; covering coughs and sneezes; and monitoring your own health for symptoms of COVID-19.

Cal U has a customized app to help you monitor your health. Here are instructions for downloading the CampusShield self-screening app:


  1. Using your phone, select the appropriate Campus Shield link:
    1. For iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/campusshield/id1019136154
    2. For Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.campus_shield
  2. Next, register and create a profile within the Campus Shield app. You must register with your edu email address to access the customized app. Once you have registered, allow/accept all prompts. When you finish with registration, click the “COVID Health Assessment” tile to complete your assessment.
  3. Use the app each day to answer the self-screening questions. After providing your answers, you will receive one of the following:
  • Green badge – Keep your phone handy to show the badge as needed.
  • Red notice – This indicates you may have been exposed to COVID-19. Follow the instructions on the screen. This will include calling the University’s Health Center.

NOTE: Students may decline to answer and may opt out at any time.

Am I required to have a COVID-19 vaccination in order to attend Cal U?

Cal U strongly encourages vaccination, but it is not required. To mitigate risk to our campus community, students, employees and guests who are not vaccinated may be required to wear masks indoors in classrooms, common areas and other group settings.

Masking is required indoors beginning Aug. 13, 2021.

Does Cal U offer COVID-19 testing for students?

The COVID-19 testing program will resume in fall.

If you are symptom-free, you may walk in to the testing site in the Convocation Center from 7 a.m.-2 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, call the Health Center at 724-938-4232 or contact your personal healthcare provider.

I am a Cal U student. What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

Commuter students who test positive will be asked to isolate at home and not report to campus until they have recovered.

Resident students who experience symptoms should call the Health Center for guidance. All students who test positive with symptoms must remain in isolation until they meet CDC guidelines.

For all students, the University will follow up by:
   a) Contacting you to determine possible close contacts.
   b) Contacting other appropriate staff (housing, faculty, etc.) to confirm/find others who may have been in close contact with you.
   c) Notifying those students and employees who were close contacts about the confirmed case, keeping privacy concerns intact.

I am a student and considered a "close contact" of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. What happens now?

If you have been identified as a "close contact" of someone who tested positive, you must follow CDC guidelines for quarantine.

When do classes begin and end? When are final exams being held?

For the Fall 2021 semester:

Classes start on August 23.

Classes end Dec. 3. Final exams will be held Dec. 6-10.

How do I get started using online learning tools like D2L and ZOOM?

This page has information for students about the D2L Brightspace learning tool, including how to find your courses, student help videos, and a useful D2L Brightspace Student Orientation.

The page also has tips for video assignments and using ZOOM web conferencing technology.

Zoom is easy for most people to use. Learn how to log in with the Zoom app here.

Where do I get the Zoom links for my classes?

If your class is offered via Zoom, your professor will provide you with the Zoom link for your class, either directly via email or via the D2L shell for your course. If you need information, please contact your professor directly.

What is remote learning? How is it different from online courses?

Most online courses are “asynchronous,” so you can complete assignments on your own schedule each week. In contrast, remote learning is real-time instruction – you and your classmates will participate in classes at a scheduled day and time, usually through Zoom.

Think of remote learning as a virtual classroom where you, your classmates and your professor meet on a regular schedule to engage in teaching and learning.

How will I know if my class is "on campus," “online” or “remote learning”?

Check your schedule to see how your course will be delivered. Most Fall 2021 classes meet on campus, unless you have registered for one or more online courses.

Online classes will be asynchronous (you complete assignments on your own schedule) and delivered through D2L/Brightspace, our learning management system. These courses are identified on your schedule with either “G” or “W” as the first character in the section code. 

Remote learning classes will be synchronous (you and your classmates meet with the instructor at an assigned day and time) and held using Zoom. These courses are identified on your schedule with "R” as the first character in the section code. You will also note that the building is identified as “REMOTE.”

I haven’t heard from my professor, and it need information. What should I do?

Email your professor directly. (Use the “People Finder” at the bottom of the Cal U homepage to find email addresses for faculty and staff.) If the faculty member does not respond within a few days, contact the department chairperson.

I need to go online to do my classwork. What if I don’t have internet access at home?

Computer workstations in Manderino Library are open for students who need internet access. For details, check the FAQ item "Is the library open?" on this page.

If visiting campus is not practical for you, check in with your local internet provider. Some companies are providing internet access free or at a reduced rate during this national emergency.

What if my computer doesn’t meet minimum requirements?

Computer workstations in Manderino Library will be open for students who need computer access for classwork or exams. For details, check the FAQ item "Is the library open?" on this page.

A limited number of “loaner” laptops are available from UTech Services. Students who need to borrow a laptop may email eichelberger@calu.edu to request an application.

Will I be required to use Respondus Lockdown Browser for quizzes or tests?

To preserve the value of a Cal U degree, students may be required to use Respondus Lockdown Browser for major exams that are administered online.

If your digital technology does not work well with Respondus Lockdown Browser, contact your professor to discuss alternative proctoring methods.

The library has a limited number of computers equipped with Respondus software for testing. Please bring your own headset. Check the FAQ item "Is the library open?" on this page for library hours and more information.

When is the UTech Helpdesk open?

The UTech Helpdesk is available from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. An email to UTechRequests@calu.edu is the most efficient way to reach the Helpdesk. The phone number is 724-938-5911.

Before you email or phone, see if one of our UTech Tutorials can answer your technology question.

What if I need textbooks or other academic resources?

You can visit the campus store website at: www.calupa.bkstr.com .

Regular hours are: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.

Cal U Bookstore staff will be available by phone (724-938-4324) weekdays and by email (nash@calu.edu) any time to answer questions and assist with online ordering.

I have questions about my bookstore order. What should I do?

Contact the bookstore during regular hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.–2 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

You may contact the Cal U Bookstore by phone (724-938-4324) or by email (nash@calu.edu).

I don’t have a computer. What can I do?

Computer workstations in Manderino Library will be open for students who need computer access for classwork or exams.

The library has a limited number of computers equipped with Respondus software for testing, and about 35 computers for general use. Please bring your own headset. For details and library hours, check the FAQ item "Is the library open?" on this page.

University Technology Services (UTech) has a limited number of laptops that can be borrowed for short-term use. To request a “loaner” laptop, email eichelberger@calu.edu.

Is the library open?

Yes! And it's a wonderful resource for students at all levels. Please check the library website before your visit. Hours may change.

In addition, library database resources are available 24/7 via the library’s website for assigned research papers and other assignments. You can also schedule librarian research assistance and chat with a librarian. Check the library website for librarians' hours.

Can I borrow books or other physical materials from the library?

Yes! Students may check out books and other materials, and you will have access to course reserves.

No-contact curbside pickup also is available so students, faculty and staff can borrow materials (books, DVDs, realia/teaching aids, etc.) without leaving their vehicles. For details about how to request a book or other loanable materials, and for libvrary hours, visit the library website.

Can I complete my internship or student teaching experience?

Internships, externships, field experiences and student teaching will continue as long as the host site is accepting students at their location.

Are professors holding office hours?

Faculty have "office hours" when they are available to meet with students. Check with your professor(s) to find out when they are scheduling office hours or use Starfish to make an appointment. Please note that faculty office hours may change from semester to semester.

How will I know how I’m doing in class?

Faculty post grades regularly on D2L/Brightspace. If you have concerns, contact your professor directly or use Starfish to “raise your hand” and ask for help.

I’m struggling with my classes. Can I get help?

Our Vulcan Learning Commons (VLC) tutors are available to work with you. To schedule an appointment, email vlc@calu.edu. You also can use the WCOnline scheduling software at https://calu.mywconline.com/.

In addition, Cal U has partnered with Pearson’s Smarthinking, an online tutoring service. Cal U students can request and receive FREE online tutorial assistance from Smarthinking tutors, 24/7, in reading, writing and several other subjects and disciplines. Learn how to get started.

How can I change my schedule?

Contact the Scheduling Center at schedulingcenter@calu.edu and ask to connect with a staff member. They are experts at scheduling!

How do I reach my faculty adviser?

Check the tutorials in VIP for useful information like how to find your adviser. The “People Finder” at the bottom of the Cal U homepage is a useful tool for finding faculty and staff email addresses.

Can I apply for a work-study position this spring?

A limited number of work-study positions are available. Check Handshake for information about open positions.

Did students get CARES Act relief funds this spring?

The federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSA) includes funds to assist institutions of higher education and university students impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Cal U received about $2.1 million to provide emergency financial assistance directly to eligible students. Awards were made to approximately 3,400 students for the Spring 2021 semester.

Cal U began disbursing this aid on April 1, 2021, via direct deposit and (for those without direct deposit on file) paper checks.

Guidelines from the U.S. Department of Education allowed Cal U to distribute CRRSA HEERF II funds as direct emergency aid to domestic undergraduate and graduate students who were enrolled in on-campus and online degree programs during the Spring 2021 semester, and who had a FAFSA on file.

All students received an email with additional details. You can see that information in the Important Messages section of the coronavirus response page, www.calu.edu/coronaplan.

Will Commencement ceremonies be held?

Cal U looks forward to honoring our graduates. The Guide to Operations outlines the University’s plans to hold Commencement ceremonies appropriate to the University’s operational level.

AS A REMINDER: Whether or not ceremonies are held, graduation is not automatic; students must apply during the semester they intend to graduate. Graduation information and details will be sent ONLY to students who have applied by the posted deadline. Although plans for our formal ceremonies may have changed, students should apply for graduation as usual.

My family’s financial situation has changed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Can my financial aid be adjusted?

Contact the Financial Aid Office (finaid@calu.edu) if medical expenses, job loss or other effects of the pandemic have made a significant change in your family’s income. Financial Aid staff can advise you about updating your FAFSA to ask for an adjustment in your financial aid.

How do I reach the Financial Aid Office?

The Financial Aid staff are here to help you. Some staff members are in the office and others may be working remotely.

Email questions or concerns to finaid@calu.edu. If you need to speak with someone by phone, provide a callback number and someone will call you back.

Are residence halls and Vulcan Village open?

Cal U's nationally recognized residence halls will be open for Fall 2021. Contact Housing and Residence Life (housing@calu.edu) to learn more.

Vulcan Village, which is owned and operated by the Student Association Inc., remains open during the summer and during the school year. All Vulcan Village apartments have a full kitchen and laundry room. The Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority provides bus service to Walmart and other locations for students who do not have a vehicle.

What about campus dining services? Will they be open?

Yes! All dining services will be available in Fall 2021.

Hours are subject to change.

I need housing near campus. What can I do?

Vulcan Village, which is owned and operated by the Student Association Inc., remains open year-round. All Vulcan Village apartments have a full kitchen and laundry room. The Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority provides access to Walmart and other locations for students who do not have a vehicle.

This apartment complex is located about 1.5 miles from campus. Contact Vulcan Village at 724-938-8990.

Am I allowed to visit campus?

A full schedule of fall activities is planned. Access to certain locations (classrooms, common areas, offices, etc.) may be limited -- and both students and guests must follow guidelines about masking and social/physical distancing.

Of course plans may change if health and safety measures are needed. Check in often for updates.

What will clubs and organizations look like in fall? How can I get involved?

Check the list of clubs and organizations to see what student activities are planned for Fall 2021.

In addition, watch your campus email, the Daily Announcements, the online events calendar and the Cal Times student newspaper (caltimes.org) for information about activities.

How can I stay in touch with the Cal Times student newspaper?
  1.  Go to the Cal Times website
  2.  Find the panel on the homepage: "Get the Cal Times delivered to your Inbox."
  3.  Insert the email address where you want to receive the notifications.
  4. Enjoy your Cal Times subscription!
How can I reach the Student Affairs staff?

Student Affairs staff members are ready to assist you. Please call 724-938-4439 or email stuaffairs@calu.edu.

Where do I go if I feel sick?

If you have a fever, cough or other symptoms, please contact the Student Health Center at 724-938-4232. The Health Center  they will schedule an appointment (following social distancing guidelines) or provide tele-medicine services.

Is the Counseling Center open?

The Counseling Center iresumes regular hours at the start of the fall semester.

Students in need of summertime counseling services should reach out to their family counseling provider or local public service agencies. Pennsylvania residents can find a county-by-county list of crisis intervention services here.

If you need help finding a therapist in your local area this summer, contact Rachel Michaels, director of student wellness support services, at michaels_r@calu.edu.

Are other resources available if I need support?

If you are struggling to find the resources you need to complete your coursework, maintain your mental or physical health, sustain your recovery (PARC), address food insecurity, or confront other issues that present as barriers to success, please contact Rachel Michaels, director of Student Wellness Support Services, at michaels_r@calu.edu.

If you need support for recovery, these websites can help you find online meetings:

Is the Vulcan Flyer running?

Shuttle service is provided by the Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority. Check MMVTA.com for information about bus service in the area. Masks are required when riding MMVTA vehicles.

How can I get a parking pass?

Parking passes are issued by the Office of Parking and Transportation. You can reach the office at 724-938-4677.

You can learn more and manage your parking account online at www.calu.edu/parking.