California University of Pennsylvania, a comprehensive regional institution of higher education and a member of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education, is a diverse, caring and scholarly learning community dedicated to excellence in the liberal arts, science and technology, and professional studies that is devoted to building character and careers, broadly defined. The University is inspired by its core values of Integrity, Civility and Responsibility and is guided by its Bill of Rights and Responsibilities:
- We have the right to safety and security;
- We have the responsibility to ensure the safety and security of others;
- We have the right to be treated with respect;
- We have the responsibility to treat others with respect;
- We have the right to expect the best;
- We have the responsibility to give our best;
- We have the right to be treated fairly;
- We have the responsibility to treat others fairly.
Supporting the vision of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education, California University of Pennsylvania will exemplify academic excellence, innovation, service, personal growth and social justice for all.
The mission of California University of Pennsylvania is to provide a high-quality, student-centered education that prepares an increasingly diverse community of lifelong learners to contribute responsibly and creatively to the regional, national and global society, while serving as a resource to advance the region's cultural, social and economic development. Accordingly, the Cal U Strategic Plan 2015-2020 looks to our mission for inspiration and guidance.
This strategic plan is designed to empower the University to serve as a resource in the region and the Commonwealth. The strategic plan consists of five goals, with 17 objectives (strategies) that are designed to enable the strategic plan to be a "living document" that will lead California University of Pennsylvania into the future.
The strategic plan focuses the University on three key initiatives to assure the success of the University in the coming years. Those initiatives are:
- Enhancing the academic excellence and experience of our students.
- Operating with sound and efficient fiscal and governance practices.
- Achieving optimal enrollment in these challenging times.
Founded in 1852, and now in its second 150 years of service, the University is committed above all to academic excellence and intellectual rigor in the context of personal and institutional Integrity, Civility and Responsibility.
Adopted by the Council of Trustees of California University of Pennsylvania on June 4, 2003.