EXPERIENCE: Get an Internship or Co-op
Test-Drive Your Career
Gain a competitive edge in the job market and prepare for the workforce. The Internship Center at California University of Pennsylvania helps you find real-world job experiences that will build your resume, boost your confidence and introduce you to the professional world.
- Connect with paid internships and unpaid internships through Cal U's access to Handshake -a recruiting website and app with job and internship listings from 200,000 companies, non-profits and government organizations.
- Want to complete a Handshake Internship Application? Login and click "Career Center" on the right-hand corner of the screen. Click "Experiences" and then click "Request an Experience."
- Gain paid career-related experienceas early as your sophomore year through Cal U's Cooperative Education (Co-op) Program.
- Get financial support through scholarships to pursue out-of-state internships.
- Network with Cal U alumni and employers through our Career Network.
- Attend internship and job interviews on Cal U's campus.
- Visit University job, internship and career fairs.
Find an Internship
Cal U internships are led by University faculty and are for-credit courses. Faculty often help with placements, and our Internship Center gives all Cal U students access to Handshake-a website and app that connects you to top internships in Pennsylvania, the United States and around the world. Use Handshake to:
- Find the best internship for you from more than 1,000,000 jobs and internships listings.
- Build a personal profile that helps you stand out to employers.
- Receive personal internship and career recommendations.
Paid Experience Through Cooperative Education (Co-op)
Co-op is a University program that gives students in all majors (undergraduate and graduate) the opportunity to gain paid career-related experience as early as sophomore year. This program seeks to apply classroom learning to a professional work experience and is a great way to:
- Sample or try out a career while still in school.
- Earn money for college expenses; all Cal U co-ops are paid.
- Apply on-the-job learning to academic courses.
- Gain career-related experience and professional contacts.
- Make informed career plans and decisions.
To learn more, schedule an appointment with the Co-op Coordinator.
CAL U Career Network
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 75% of job seekers find internships and jobs through networking. Take advantage of the thousands of networking opportunities offered by Cal U's Career Network-a group of Cal U students, graduates and employers on LinkedIn who are interested in professional networking.
Internship Registration Process
Have you already secured an internship? Congrats! Now follow these step-by-step instructions to ensure you receive credit for your internship.
Internship Success Stories
From a police department in Maryland to a golf course Ireland, Cal U students have been placed in a wide range of internships that span many fields around the globe. Learn about their experiences and get ideas for your own!
The Rutledge Scholarship
Do you want to pursue an out-of-state internship, but are worried that you can't afford it? The Rutledge Internship Award is to provide financial assistance to students who are from southwestern Pennsylvania who wish to pursue meaningful, career-related internship experiences (for-credit only) outside of Pennsylvania who would otherwise not be able to afford to do so.
We've compiled a handy list of answers to frequently asked internship and Handshake questions.