Data Science: One Of The Fastest Growing Occupations
Data science was named the fastest-growing job in 2017 by LinkedIn, and in 2018 Glassdoor ranked data scientist as the best jobin the United States. Furthermore, a recent study by PriceWaterhouseCoopers states: “The best jobs right now in America include titles like data scientist, data engineer, and business analyst.”
If you want to start on a career path in the rewarding and in-demand field of data science, a data scientist degree from PennWest California can help you make that dream a reality.
PennWest California’s statistics and data science degree is a comprehensive bachelor’s degree program that teaches you to think like a data scientist while you master the essential software skills and data analysis tools that are being used in top data science jobs across industries. PennWest California also offers online SAS certificates in data science at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, so you can boost your degree and land a lucrative data science career.
Job Growth Statistics in Sata Science Careers
There are many reasons to pursue a data science and statistics degree from PennWest California, but perhaps the most compelling is the incredible job growth that is currently happening in the field. As a data science and statistics major you’ll be taking an essential first step on a career path that boasts:
- 650% job growth since 2012 (source: LinkedIn).
- An estimated 11.5 million new jobs by 2026 (source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- An average annual average salary of $120,931with the job title of data scientist (source: Glassdoor), and an average salary of over $84,000 per year across 14 specific data analysis and data science careers linked to PennWest California’s statistics and data science degree program (source: Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education).
According to a recent study by LinkedIn, the highest growth jobs related to data science and data analysis include:
- Machine Learning Engineer:8X job growth. Average salary according to Payscale: $100,956.
- Data Scientist:5X job growth. Average salary according to Glassdoor: $120,931.
- Sales Development Representative:7X job growth. Average salary according to Glassdoor: $47,973.
- Customer Success Manager: 6X job growth, average salary according to Glassdoor: $78,818.
- Big Data Developer:5X job growth, average salary according to PayScale: $85,000.
- Full Stack Engineer:5X job growth, average salary according to Glassdoor: $104,463.
- Unity Developer:1X job growth, average salary according to PayScale: $83,318 per year.
- Director of Data Science:9X job growth, average salary according to PayScale: $158,911 per year.
- Full Stack Developer:5X job growth, average salary according to PayScale: $76,063 per year.
Read on to learn more about the growth and opportunities in data science, data analysis, and statistics careers.
Employment Gap Statistics in Data Science Careers
Graduates of PennWest California’s data science and statistics degree program have the advantage of starting a career path in which there are more open jobs than qualified candidates to fill them. As the Harvard Business Review states, “the shortage of data scientists is becoming a serious constraint in some sectors.”
What’s more, because PennWest California’s bachelor’s degree in data science and our certificate programs in data science, prepare students to pursue the credential of SAS Certified Big Data Professional, PennWest California data science and statistics majors stand out from their peers in job applications.
As a data science and statistics major the job opportunities available to you include:
- A predicted 2.7 million open jobs in data analysis, data science and related careers in 2020 (source: IBM).
- 39% growth in employer demand for demand for both data scientists and data engineers by 2020 (source IBM).
- An average earning potential of $8,736 more per year than any other bachelor’s degree jobs (source: IBM).
Among the new job opportunities for data scientists and data analysts, IBM predicts:
- 59% of jobs will be in finance, information technology (IT), insurance and professional services careers. This is broken down to 19% in finance and insurance, 18% in professional services and 17% in IT.
- 61% of data scientists and advanced analysis positions will be available to bachelor’s degree holders, while 39% will require a master’s degree or a Phd.
- Data science and data analyst jobs remain open for 5 days longer than the average for all other jobs, which points to the fact that there is less competition in these career fields, and recruiters have to work harder to find qualified candidates.
A degree in statistics and data science from PennWest California will put you in a prime position to fill the employment gaps in the field. If you’re interested in starting on the career path of what the Harvard Business review calls the “sexiest job of the 21st century”, a data science degree from PennWest California is a great choice. Apply to PennWest California’s statistics and data science degree program today.
Data Science Top 10
Reasons to earn your degree at PennWest California
Job security, career security and certification preparation are just some of the many reasons to study data science at PennWest California. Learn more.
The Data Deluge
Big Data is everywhere
What is big data and why is it so important today?
Online SAS certificate program
Discover this online SAS program that will give you competitive edge across industries
Online SAS certificate program
No matter what you studied as an undergraduate, an online SAS graduate certificate can boost your career.